23 → "TRAPPED"

23 "TRAPPED"

ADELINE felt as if she had just stopped breathing for a slight moment. She watched as the East Door sealed both boys inside the Maze. After that, an uncomfortable silence lingered in the air as Gladers stalked off back to their jobs. But Adeline stayed, her eyes still glued to the Maze Door in shock; I'll be back. The words seemed to echo in her mind. Removing her eyes away from the Door, she turned on her heels and spun around. A few Gladers watched her with curious eyes, and she wished that they would look away.

"Are you alright?" She met Newt's gaze, slightly nodding.

"Yeah." she lied. "Just ..."

"Yeah, I get it." He said. "I'm sorry. About Matt."

Adeline shrugged, wanting to change the subject. "I guess he deserved to be punished for what he did. But —"

"But not by being Banished." Newt answered the rest of the sentence for her. Adeline nodded. Adeline averted her eyes to a spot on the ground. Both stood in an uncomfortable silence for a while. "I tried." Newt said not a moment later. "I tried to reason with Alby about banishing Matt, but he had his mind set on banishing the both of them. He told me that the decision had already been made about Matt's fate."

"He's not going to survive out there. They won't survive out there." Adeline muttered. Adeline squeezed her eyes shut. The words he said in her head came back to haunt her again.

I'll be back.

"I better get back to work." She stated, brushing past Newt and towards the kitchen.

By mid afternoon, Adeline was given permission to leave the kitchen after helping a few of the Slopper's in the kitchen with the dishes. As she stalked out, she noticed Newt sitting alone at a table. His eyes were bloodshot and he chewed at his fingernails. Nearby, were Thomas and Chuck. She met Chuck's gaze as she approached them, nodding from Chuck to Newt, signalling for him to turn his attention to him.

"What's wrong with him?" Chuck whispered after glancing over at Newt. "Looks like you did when you popped out of the Box."

"I don't know." Thomas replied. "Why don't you go ask him."

"I can hear every bloody word you guys are saying." Newt snapped. "No wonder people hate sleepin' next to you shanks."

"What is wrong with you?" Chuck asked. "No offense, but you look like klunk."