The Next Captain America

Start from the beginning

"Taking a trip down memory lane?" Hannah asked.

"Something like that. Aren't you suppose to be in school?" He asked.

"I don't start at MIT for another week." She answered. "How long have you been back? I actually didn't know you were even back yet."

"No one did. I flew in this morning. It was kind of a last minute thing." He said as they began to walk up stairs. "Where's dad and mom?"

"Dad is mostly likely doing something outside. Probably feeding the goats or chickens. Mom is at work, per usual." Her tone hinted with a bit of annoyance.

Will chuckled. "You know she has an important job."

"I know, but she promised to take me to get my nails done before I start school. She did the same thing with Winnie. Anyways, why are you here? More specifically, in the basement?"

"You've got a big brain. Why don't you use it?"

A smirk appeared on the young woman's face. "Does this have to do with Captain America?"

"Possibly."

"That was easy. I mean, let's face it. You've wanted to be Captain America since you were young." Hannah said. "You think they'll say yes?"

"Doubt it!" The youngest member of the Barnes family spoke. She stopped in front of her older brother and mocked saluted him in his military uniform. "The least likely thing they want any of us to do is be like them. They've made that abundantly clear."

"It's good to see you too, Winnifred." Her brother teased.

Winnie shot him a look. "Don't use my full name."

The front door swung open to reveal their dad. Bucky was dressed in an old shirt, jeans tucked into a pair of muck boots and a hat pulled over his hair hiding the streaks of grey that had begun to appear. He stopped when he saw all three of his children standing in the living room. Probably conspiring with one another, Bucky thought to himself. A smile spread across his face, however, when he saw Will standing there.

"Hey, dad." Will greeted his father with a hug.

"Will, what are you doing home? I thought your leave wasn't for another few weeks." Bucky asked.

"I just thought a visit might be nice. I also wanted to talk to mom and you about something." He said.

Bucky nodded with uncertainty, but didn't press his son further. "Okay. She should be home soon. She'll be happy to see you."

Right on cue, they heard a car pull into the driveway. Shorty after that the front door open. Catherine didn't see her son at first. She was too busy kicking her heels off, removing the claw clip from her hair and putting down a stack of files. When she did finally look up, she looked surprised. That wasn't the look Will or really any of them noticed. It was her red, puffy eyes. Something had happened. More than likely something went bad at work.

"Will!" His mom said and tried her best to smile while hugging her son. "I didn't know you would be here. I would have cooked you your favorite meal otherwise."

"It's okay, mom. I'll be here for a few more days. There's plenty of time to do that. I was hoping to talk to dad and you, privately." He told her.

"Um, okay. Can it wait until after dinner?" She asked.

William nodded. There was a thickness in the air that couldn't be described. He shuffled his siblings to another room knowing their mom needed space or time to decompress. Their dad stayed in the kitchen.

Bucky gently touched Catherine's shoulder and kissed her temple. "You okay?"

"It's been a bad day." She said quietly. Bad day was their code word for someone had died, usually an agent. They would talk about it later after the kids went to sleep.