Episode 24: Leaving

*Violet*

When Vi peeked in on the sleeping children, the color on their faces looked better. It was a small win, but she would take it.

"How are the kids doing?" Zena whispered.

"A little better, I think," Vi said. "Hopefully sleeping in a bed will do them a world of good."

She put her hands on her hips. "I'm sure all of you kids could use a proper bed. Even after years of practice, it's hard to care for sick children."

Vi had to choke back a snort. Zena's head might explode if she ever got to sleep in the bed Vi got as a wedding present.

Kai acted like a child when he first felt it. The oaf had fallen asleep before she could even count to ten. It had annoyed her as she had wanted to do typical wedding night stuff. The idiot had fooled her when he grabbed her, only to call her a stuffy in his sleep.

She was gentle as she pried Lulu off Sky and scooped him up. She wouldn't sleep if she didn't return him home.
Vi summoned her key from her birthmark and held it out causing a silver gate to manifest.

When she tried to pass through her gate, it felt like she walked into a brick wall.

"That's odd, why isn't it working?"

"I can't have you take him," De's voice echoed. She turned around and saw Lucy get up. Her eyes were glowing. "This girl needs that boy's help."

"But she has the three of us!"

"Yes, but she picked Sky too. This mission will need four people. One goes missing and things might fall apart."

"Isn't that a Degaro superstition?" She recalled Kai mentioning the same thing when she told him that she wouldn't help him with his fishy business.

"You may see it that way, but Sky is the son of Edgar and Amethyst. He will be a great help to this girl."

"But he's sick. He should be with Ame!"

De laughed. "Interesting how you hold a grudge against her yet want to return him to her."

"Well, yeah. It's not Sky's fault that Star got hurt. Do you think I'm that petty?"

De shook Lucy's head. "No. As for the boy, I'll grant him a blessing. This shall speed up his recovery!" He held out Lucy's hand toward Sky, causing his leg to glow yellow before finally subsiding.

"Thanks. Uh, if you don't mind me asking, why are you helping us?" Vi asked.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, if you're willing to get this involved, why didn't you end the war?"

De snickered. "But I did."

"What do you mean?"

"I work through you, my Key Keepers, as well as my faithful. You're my arms and legs. I give you the tools needed to complete your task."

"True, you did help me out a lot. But, I meant, why not do it yourself?"

"To not overstep my boundaries. My children rule the natural world. If I get too involved, they would turn against me. A divine war is far more frightening than any mortal war."

Violet gulped just imagining what that would look like.
Tears poked out of the corners of Vi's eyes as Betty's face popped into her mind.

"Violet, Kayleigh is a merciful goddess. She has a plan. I'm so grateful, grateful she didn't take Star away from us. He was left alone in a strange world for two weeks. He got kidnapped and fell into a coma. He was returned to us, but his frail body could have given out. He's still with us. I can't be anything but grateful that he's still with us. Noah and En could have broken if they lost him for good."

Vi eased Sky onto the bed and proceeded to fluff up his pillows.

"Please try to take it easy."
De put her back in bed before leaving Lulu's body.

Vi kissed each as she tucked them in.

Vi jumped when she saw her husband standing in the hallway. "You overhead that conversation, didn't you?"

Kai nodded. "I got cold, so I came to see where you went."

Her voice shook. "Sky's fever finally broke." She smiled as she hugged her oaf. "Let's get to bed."

Kai took his wife into his arms. "Yeah. Allie's gonna worry if she wakes up in bed alone."

***

When the trio woke up in the morning, Zena was already in the kitchen.

The girls exchanged glances.

"My nest might be long empty, but I'm still a mom."

"What was your kid like?" Vi asked.

"He was a hard worker, and he loved his family. They perished in a fire years ago."

Vi had to choke back a gasp. That wasn't easy. Ivy and Len had lost their family in a fire as children.

Sky was standing in the archway. "Let's go!"

Alice's jaw dropped. "You can move?" she shouted.

Sky nodded. "Yup! Let's get going!" He waved at his family.

Alice furrowed her eyebrows. Not only was Sky learning on the wall, but he was still limping.

Vi said, "Honey, your fever might be gone, but your leg isn't better yet. It might be too soon for you to try to walk on it."

Kai stood up and scooped up his baby brother. "Let's get you back in bed. It's important to take things slow after you get hurt."

Vi saw a familiar boy she couldn't place in a nearby picture. "If you don't mind me asking, who is that boy?"

"My son, the one that perished in a fire with his wife and child."

Zena gasped when she looked out a nearby window. "It wasn't snowing a minute ago."

Vi had to cover her smile. Sky had to stay in bed. They couldn't leave in the middle of a blizzard.

***

Thoughts? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!