"So much for a nice weekend," Akari mumbled under her breath while making a quick dash towards their school like a madman, ignoring all the curious bystanders left and right.

One hour passed.

"Heads up, rookie," Inari said loudly and tossed Akari a face towel and a bottle of water after the team's usual warm-up exercise routine was done. Their coach gave them at least a five-minute break before proceeding to the fielding drills which evaluates how well the players are while in a game-time scenario and also what position was best for them. "I thought you wouldn't show up."

"I thought so too," Akari replied nonchalantly and wiped off the beads of sweat forming on her forehead with the given towel. She opened her bottle and drank the water thirstily as she sat down on one of the bleachers. She never thought playing softball was as tiring as shit. The weather was also scorching hot that she could almost see the uprising of the surrounding vaporized air in the open field area.

Why on earth did she join the club again?

Oh, right. She was bored. And also the fact that she wanted to swing a bat. Now, Umeda-sensei must be so proud of her.

"Luckily, you're in the nick of time or you'll be out from the team," Inari told her. "Tardiness is not allowed in the club, Hanagaki-san. You've got potential, you know that. Even the captain was amazed by your athleticism and fast-thinking during the tryouts. It will be a waste if you don't use it here. Have you already decided what position you want in softball?"

Akari nodded her head and gave an immediate answer, "I actually wanted to try the Batter." Which was a half-truth.

Inari bobbed her head and grinned. "Oh, that's nice. Well, good luck with that." The softball manager patted her shoulder before walking over to the other players and handing each one of them their drinks.

"Aren't you Hanagaki Akari-san of Class 1-A?"

Akari whipped her head as an unfamiliar cute girl with braided golden-brown hair and braces approached her. She greeted her with a friendly smile. Akari's forehead furrowed at this unknown figure. Ah, who...?

The braces girl seemed to have read her mind. She giggled. "Oh, sorry. How rude of me. I haven't introduced myself yet." She took a seat next to her. "I'm Hayase Iori of Class 2-C and the team's Catcher. Nice to meet you!"

Oh, a senpai. Akari nodded her head in acknowledgment. She waved a hand. "Hello, Hayase-senpai."

The upperclassman smiled again. "There's no need to be formal, Akari-chan," she said warmly. "Oh, you don't mind calling me you by your first name, do you?"

"It's alright, senpai. I don't see why not."

"Great! You may also just call me Iori if you want."

"Okay, Iori-san then," Akari noted and used an honorific as a sign of respect since the girl was still a year older than her. But she was way too friendly for her taste. "By the way, how do you know my name, Iori-san?" She didn't notice her in the tryouts the other day where they also had their introductions. So, how?

"Huh? You didn't know? You're popular, Akari-chan."

Akari blinked, confused. What? Popular?

"Okay, break time's over!" their coach announced in enthusiasm and clapped her hands to call out everyone's attention. "Let's do the fielding drill, girls! Now, move your asses back to the field!"

"Yes, coach!" all of them chorused and shot up from the bleachers in unison.

"Let's go, Akari-chan!" Iori told her in mirth and grabbed her hand.