𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐝𝐨𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐚 𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐦𝐢𝐚

Start from the beginning

Sighing defeatedly I handed my trench coat to the gatekeeper at the front door. He bowed deeply and started checking our invitations. By that I meant my invitation, Lady Amanda had been kind enough to let me bring a plus one... or plus threes in a way. She was indeed friends with my mother but not enough for her to earn her own invitation.

The gatekeeper nodded at the servant as he began showing us into one of the most massive buildings I had ever come across. The hallway was a wide stretch with a primly beige carpeted floor and dusky walls, large oil paintings and portraits hung on the walls in gold frames. I quickened my pace to match with the servant's and so did my mother and sisters.

The wide hallway soon emerged into the great expanse that is the ballroom of course, which was illuminated by shimmering chandeliers accompanied by even more paintings and portraits of important looking men hung on the wall, each having horrifyingly uncanny hairstyles and large blonde wings that were carried like bird nests on top of their heads.

My smile grew wider as I looked at the portraits ready to burst out laughing at any given moment. Then suddenly my heart stopped as my eyes came to rest on...

It couldn't be, could it?

Mr Rowan Alistair.

Looking as fanciable as ever, he stood in a striking pose with one hand in his trouser pocket and another holding a glass of whiskey, he stood in a slightly sideways angle. His sharp jaw even more defined than usual. The painter has done an acceptable job but no one can capture the beauty I saw the other day in his office.

Woah there Issy! where did that thought come from?

I didn't mean I thought he was attractive or anything. If anything he looked hideous with his perfectly sculpted face and darker-than-night hazel eyes, not to mention his adamantly tall towering figure.

Hideous! Absolutely hideous!

You don't seem too sure of that.

I ignored Pablo and continued gazing at the painting. The last time I saw him he was in nothing but a black shirt, trousers and a black vest.

Here he looked like a true gentleman in a white shirt and black tailcoat and vest. Not a single black hair out of place. He wore black gloves and a black tie too, with a silver pocket watch peeking out from his black vest. Everything he wore was black! Had he ever heard of colorful clothing? Nevertheless he looked almost kind of sort of gentleman-like.

But looks can be deceiving, I met him and from what I know he is anything but a gentleman!

I turned away from the portrait and walked towards the entrance, Lady Amanda greeted me at the door.

"Hello Issy my dear!"

I went for the curtsy.

She went for the hug.

Classic.

"You made it!" she shrieked in my ear as she engulfed me in a warm embrace.

"Apparently so" I pulled away politely smiling at the frail figure of Lady Amanda. Her blue eyes shining up at me in... hope? She smiled widely and mischievously. What in the macaroon's name was going on?

"Let me introduce you to my son Issy dear"

Wait back up.

A son?

She is telling me that she has a son?

A son who I don't know perhaps wants to get married, settle down and rob a poor woman of her virtue.