Chapter Two: The Letter

Here's chapter two!

Luke's POV

The first thing I noticed when I woke up was I wasn't in my bed. I was in someone else's. But...who's? I groaned at the pain in my head and my neck. My eyes slowly adjusted to the light and I recognized the room as Rylie's. I let out a sigh of relief and noticed some pain killers and a glass of orange juice was on her nightstand so I gulped those down and stood up. I heard Rylie talking to her mom downstairs...but what confused me was how could I hear it so clearly from all the way up here in her room if they're in, what sounds like, the kitchen?

I went downstairs and the voices got louder, but when I was finally within ear reach I heard them normally again. What the hell?

"Oh, good, Luke, you're awake! Rylie and I were so worried! We found you passed out in an alley by the school with blood on your neck, but thank God you're okay! A dog must have attacked you or something?" Rylie's mum, Laura, hugs me tightly into her chest and I smile, hugging her back.

"I'm okay...just a bit in pain. I'll live, though." I shrug it off, leaving out the fact I could hear differently now.

Laura nods and Rylie tells me to go home and get some rest. I nod, walking the long way it is back home. I wish I could just zoom home like it's nothing. So, I decide to start jogging, but instead of jogging, my feet take me faster than they ever have before and I end up at my house in the blink of an eye. I gape, looking around and looking myself up and down as if this wasn't real and that didn't just happen. But...it did. And I wanted to know why.

The next weird thing I noticed was how I went to get a snack from the fridge, but it wasn't as satisfying as I remembered it to be. It didn't...fill me up. My hunger was still there. So, I ate more...and more...and more. Until I just gave up and tried to go take a nap to get my grumbling stomach off my mind.

~~~~~~

The next morning my hunger was still there, my senses were still heightened, and my speed was fast. Just like yesterday. It was freaking me out and confusing me all at the same time. I wanted answers. So, I Googled my symptoms and see what they said...but the only thing that came up was...immortality. Or even...vampire. I refused to believe I was dead and just ignored it. Google is stupid and half the time not accurate anyways so why bother worrying if I'm immortal or not? That's impossible. A myth.

I got ready for school, pairing my ripped black skinny jeans with a red flannel over a black t shirt. I fixed my hair up in a quiff and placed a snapback on top of it. I slung my bag over my shoulder and started my short walk to school.

When I got to school, Rylie was with Emily by her locker, and when they saw me they instantly smiled until I got closer, then Rylie's face turned into a frown.

"What?"

"You look really pale...like paler than usual...are you feeling okay? Are you sick?" Rylie places the back of her hand to my head to see if I had a fever but she looked puzzled, lowering her hand back to her side. "Your skin is cold...you don't have a fever...but you're so cold? How do you not have goosebumps? You sure you're alright?"

"I'm fine, Ry, would you stop acting so weird? I'm perfectly normal." I lied through my teeth. I wasn't fine. I wasn't sick, but I certainly wasn't 'perfectly normal' either. I didn't know what was wrong with me.

I shrug it off until the end of the day before I walk home and do more research on what my symptoms from today were but I keep getting the same results...immortal. Maybe I just need some fresh air and get out in the sun? I thought to myself. Grabbing my phone, I shoved it into my back pocket and went out the front door and saw that the mail came. Inside was one simple letter made out to me at my address. I tore it open and unfolded the contents of the paper inside. It read:

Dear Luke Robert Hemmings,

It has come to my brief attention that you have incredible abilities that I've been watching through you for the past two days. It is to my knowledge that you are of great power and we would like to invite you to join us next semester at The Vampire Academy so you can learn how to use and control these powers responsibly. Our program is very secluded and not many people know that vampires even exist so please do not communicate this to anyone. If you have any questions or concerns, write them back to me and I'll give you an answer as soon as possible. Please consider this invitation and we hope to see you next semester!

~ Headmistress McGuire

At the bottom of the paper was the address to the school and a phone number. So...I am a vampire?