Ch. 7 | Broken Heart

Summary: An ending, and a return.

——————————————————

It had been almost four months since Spencer had died, and for at least three of those months we had been chasing after the same fucking accomplice.

And we had found him. I  had found him.

My feet pounded against the concrete faster than my heart could beat. Despite feeling like I was going to throw up or pass out, my feet wouldn't stop moving. I reveled in the burn because I knew that it would all be worth it soon. Soon, I would be able to breathe again for the first time in four months. Because only one block in front of me, I could see him. The man we'd been looking for.

The only problem with that was that I was also four months pregnant. While I'd been able to withstand most of the pregnancy symptoms, they'd gotten exponentially worse over the past few weeks. The nausea had come back, and most days I was barely able to get out of bed, much less chase a grown man through the busy streets.

I could feel my instincts arguing with one another, one blaring a siren while the other saw nothing but blood red rage.

I couldn't worry about what could go wrong. Not while he was so close. I couldn't manifest another unhappy ending.

But just as the thought of the stakes hit me, so did a nausea and dizziness unlike ever before. My feet started to slow, but I couldn't let them stop. When the cold sweat started to form on frigid yet scorching skin, I blamed it on the tactical gear and exhaustion.

I'd barely slept the past few days. Weeks. Months, if I were being honest.

I tried to find every reason to blame for why the world was fading away in front of my eyes. It wasn't until I ran out into traffic and nearly collided with a car that I admitted my own inability. I abruptly came to a stop on the side of the road only to realize that I hadn't been paying close enough attention to the man. I had been running on spite and inertia, and I had come to a stop.

My eyes scanned the crowds over and over, but I couldn't see him anymore. But just as I was about to curse my own stupidity and pride, someone shouted to me from across the road.

"Hey! Officer! He went that way!"

I shot up with a second wind. I didn't stop to ask myself if going into this alone was a good idea. I didn't ask how the stranger had known who I was chasing or why, or how he'd been somehow paying closer attention than I.

I didn't care about anything other than finding him and putting an end to a miserable existence. I bolted in the direction the person pointed towards without a second thought on how careless the decision was. As far as I knew, this was a trap.

And it was.

The second I rounded the corner of the alley, I heard more than felt a fist against the back of my head. The forceful 'thud' made my stomach churn even worse. I fell to the ground face first, with my hands shielding my stomach before myself. But by some grace of God, I didn't lose consciousness.

I liked to think that maybe it was Spencer looking out for us.

All I could hear was sirens and screaming. All I could see was blood soaked pavement and a black curtain ushering me towards the climax of the story. Struggling for my weapon, I felt the familiar taste of iron and regret fill my mouth. My mind began blurring reality and nothingness. '

I could feel a terrible nothingness preparing to swallow me whole until I heard Derek yelling my name.

Three gunshots sounded, but his voice never stopped. Even when he came down to me on the ground and held me. He was there. He was trying to tell me I was safe. I believed him. He was going to help me.