Chapter Nine - Ali

Chapter Nine

Ali

    A week after I had told Rory that I didn't feel for him, I got moved up in my English set. I was sat next to a guy called Alexander (Ali for short). We had to do projects in groups of three. Miss had the seating plan alphabetically but, seeing as I was a late addition, I was next to Alexander Whittaker. So, as Miss went along the rows of people, putting them in threes, I worked out that there would be one two or a five. Either way, Ali and I would not be in the right sized group. Miss put us in a two. This meant we had to do more work between us.

   The project we had to do was drama based, to an extent. This meant I would do wonderfully as I was a drama boff. It was actually an oral test where we had to create several pieces, or sketches, giving instructions on how to do something. We had the rest of that lesson to start planning. We sat and brainstormed ideas: how to kiss, bake cupcakes, break a vase, have a water fight, all of the most pointless things to know in an adult's point of view.

   We had to do this out of school, so arranged to meet up at my house later that day. For the rest of the day, I kept on thinking of Ali. Of his dark auburn hair, his grey eyes that seemed to glitter, the freckles on his cheekbones that were barely noticeable, except when close up, and his tall, lanky frame. The image of him was stuck in my head throughout the day.

   After school, we met up and walked back to my house. When we got there, we went in to the kitchen and got ourselves a drink and a tub of fresh, juicy strawberries. I also heated a bottle of milk for Rhianna. We went upstairs and I sent him into my room with the tray of drinks, strawberries and Rhianna's milk. I went into the nursery and picked up Rhiannna, saying "Ooh, how's my beautiful princess?" in a mumsie way. She giggled and started to play with a lock of my hair. I walked in to my room, sat on the bed and took the bottle from the tray. She saw the bottle and started to giggle and clap. Sitting back, I put her in between my legs. She took the bottle from my hands and started to drink away.

   "I'm guessing she's yours and Rob's?" Ali said, smiling down at Rhianna adoringly..

"Yeah; Rhianna." I replied, grinning at my pride and joy.

"Hello, Rhianna. Aren't you a pretty girl?" Ali said to Rhianna.

Rhianna nodded, put her bottle down and said "Pwicky... gur." I picked her up and kissed her all over.

Grinnign at her, I said, "You clever girl."

"Pwicky gur." She said, clapping and bouncing up and down on the bed. "Pwicky gur, pwicky gur, pwicky gur!"

I smiled and said "Well, you've inspired her first words."

"Mmm, never thought I'd inspire someone."

   "So, what are we going to do for this project?" I asked.

"What about doing something with Rhianna?" Ali said.

"Like?"

"How to keep a baby amused?" He had the cutest bashful smile on his face, as if he had said something so obvious in such an innocent way.

"What? Like playing games and making funny faces? Stuff like that?"

"Yeah."

"Mmm. Maybe the 'pwicky gur' would like a little field trip."

"Pwicky gur!" Rhianna squealed, clapping her hands.

"I think that's a yes." Ali said, smiling.

"Mmm, I think so."

"So, how are we going to amuse her?"

"She likes funny faces, popping bubbles, playing 'peek-a-boo', knocking things over, stuff like that."