Chapter 5: Meeting

The weeping drove me to exhaustion, I cried so much that I fell asleep hoping that it was all just another one of my nightmares

The weeping drove me to exhaustion, I cried so much that I fell asleep hoping that it was all just another one of my nightmares. The notion of time is inherent to the human being since we are all in principle capable of recognizing and ordering the occurrence of events perceived by our senses. However, I believe that my senses and perceptions at this moment were masters at deceiving me. I had the feeling that at certain moments, certain events were passing very quickly, and that at other times the same events seemed eternal, even though the clock said otherwise. In short, I had no idea how long, hours, days, or months, I had been in this situation.

I woke up, but this time I was not alone in the room, which was quite luxurious by the way. The friendly nurse was standing in a corner of the room with a clipboard in hand, her back to me and talking to her was a tall man. His dark brown hair was almost black. His very broad shoulders were noticeable even under his coat. I imagined that he might be the doctor in charge of my case. Maybe he could give me some answers or not... Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to try.

I didn't want to be rude and interrupt the conversation, so I tried to move until I was noticed. The kind nurse looked up and smiled. Soon the doctor, I believe he was, turned to me as well. When I looked at him, I saw those blue eyes! Awe, doubt, and excitement overcame me, it was him. That person I had dreamed about so much. It was not possible! I could only be delirious. There was no logical explanation for all this.

He gave a brief smile, as if out of politeness, but without losing his seriousness. Silently, he took a stethoscope and checked my heartbeat. I felt embarrassed, they must have been very fast, the proximity in which we were standing made me uneasy.

— Hello, how are you feeling? We waited for you to wake up for a long time. Could you tell us your name and age? — he asked in an almost fatherly voice as he examined my eyes. I couldn't articulate any rational response. I was perplexed and mesmerized. His striking jaw and a perfectly drawn mouth made all my lucidity, or what was left of it, vanish.

He made some notes and continued the physical examination. I thought it was right not to speak, I didn't know what to say, I just kept observing each step he took. However, one detail bothered me. He was not like in my dreams, and not only in his appearance. Fact that he seemed to be older, his semblance was close to 30 years old, but his essence appeared sad and distant. Quite different from the kind man who looked at me with that passionate and tender gaze.

Finally, he touched my skin. It was as if I was on fire, an electric current ran through every nerve ending in my body, and I felt my face blush. He looked at me deeply, holding my arm gently, his gaze was confused, of doubt, it was as if in a split second he had been transported into my world. As if he was feeling the same things I was, he was thinking he was crazy, as I also considered myself.

The nurse called him and broke the trance. She was worried, but he replied that everything was fine. He let go of my arm, just looked at the other one without touching me. I missed his touch, although his hands were cold they warmed my heart. After the episode, both of them turned and I noticed that they were rehearsing to leave the room without saying a word. Their posture bothered me; after all, I was a 33-year-old woman who deserved an explanation of my condition. With a moment of courage that sustained me, I decided to break the silence of the room: