CHAPTER 47

It’s four days before the competition and I am super excited and also anxious about it. I am looking forward to it and to seeing Siza’s family because they are all going to be present in the competition since they are sponsors of it. Everything we are going to submit at the competition has been prepared and packed. All that’s left is for Veli to submit it two days before the competition.

Anyways enough about the competition. I have to get out of this bed. I open my eyes and sit up to stretch my arms. I try climbing off the bed and my legs are heavy. I try once again and nothing happens. I uncover my legs and scream when I see the problem. They are three times their size and I have blisters all over. I try screaming again but my voice doesn’t come out. What is going on with me? Tears just cascade down my cheeks because I don’t know what is happening but I know that this has to be witchcraft. I lie back and just let tears flow because it seems like I am hopeless.

“Good morning sisi. I am rushing. I just wanted to check on you.” Nyezi says cheerfully with her head peaking in at my door. “Why are you still in bed?” she asks.
“Call mom.” I try to make my voice less shaky. Instead it comes off hoarse and barely audible.

“What was that?” Nyezi asks walking in. I cover my face with my hands and just wail. “Sisi you are worrying me. What is going on?” she removes my hands from my face. “What’s wrong? Why are you crying? Did bhut Siza do something?” I shake my head.
“Please call mom.” She looks at me with a face full of concern. “Please.” She quickly walks out of the room and comes back with mom instantly.

“What is wrong, my angel?” mom asks.
“Get Nyezi out.” she frowns.
“What happened to your voice?”
“Get Nyezi out and lock the door mom.” She does as I tell her. Nyezi knows never to defy mom. She comes back and stands beside my bed. I sit up and uncover my legs. She glances at them and exclaims.

“Shwele Ngunezi! Kodwa soneni kubani!” I cover my legs and lie back down once again. “Azanda what is going on? When did this happen?”
“I woke up like this and with my voice gone.”

“Someone is bewitching you. How could they do something like this to you? What could you have possibly done for them to go to such extreme lengths?” I shrug and wipe my tears. Crying doesn’t help, I know, but I am broken and shattered. I need to offload and what better way to release what’s inside than to cry my eyeballs out since I can’t scream? Mom takes a few deep breaths and sits on the edge of the bed. “We have to go to your home. Your father and MaMhlongo will know what to do. I need you to get up. Can you do that?” I shake my head. She sighs and stands up. She uncovers me, takes some head wraps and wrap them around my legs. That hurt like a motherfucker. I just close my eyes and accept the pain I am feeling. “Sit up.” I sit up and she goes to unlock the door.

She heads out and comes back after a few minutes wearing a worn out dress and a head wrap which she has wrapped the wrong way. She carries me in her back and we head to her car. She helps me into the back seat and heads inside the house. After a few seconds she comes back, climbs into the driver seat and drives off. Every bump, pothole and rock on the road feels like hell. We finally arrive at the Buthelezi household and mom drives in because the gate is already open. She climbs off the car and shouts all my brothers’ names and even my father’s name. They all come out with their guns in their hands ready for war.

“What is going on mkami?” Sokalisa asks. Mom just points at the backseat where I am at and then she breaks down. I think I would also break down if I were her. Imagine your child going through some shit and you not being able to help her with anything. That’s just torture in a different level. Zithulele comes to the car and opens the back seat door.

“Dade, what’s going on?” he asks with a frown. I extend my arms to him and he helps me up. He carries me out of the car in his arms. His eyes pop out when they land on my legs. “What happened to you, Azanda?” I shrug and bury my head in his neck hiding my tears from everyone.

NARRATED
Zithulele quickly rushed Azanda to MaMhlongo’s rondavel. MaMhlongo was inside, cleaning but she stopped everything she was doing the minute Zithulele entered with Azanda in his arms. She immediately knew what was happening. She could feel the past couple of days that something bad has happened but she couldn’t pinpoint it.

“KODWA BOSHENGE SONENI!” she exclaimed with her hands on her head.

Zithulele placed Azanda on a grass mat. His brothers and father made their way in. MaMhlongo uncovered Azanda’s legs and everyone was in shock. Azanda’s legs were much worse than the state they were in when she woke up. She glanced at them and then continued crying.

“Don’t just stand there, MaMhlongo. Do something.” Sokalisa said as he knelt beside Azanda and grabbed her hand. “You are going to be okay, ndodakazi.” He brushed her hand. He raised his head and looked at MaMhlongo with pleading eyes. MaMhlongo sighed and mixed a few herbs.

“Drink this. It will temporarily make you sleep. You need to rest.” She made Azanda drink the concoction. It was very bad but it did a trick because Azanda was out like a flame in two minutes. MaMhlongo turned to Sokalisa. “I can’t help her baba. Please call her grandmother. She might know someone who can help her. We have to move fast before whatever witchcraft is happening, paralyses her.”

Sokalisa stood up and went outside. MaNene was sitting on the veranda in front of the main house with her head buried between her knees. Sokalisa walked to her and kneeled before her.

“Mkami.” She quickly raised her head.
“Is she okay? Is she healed? Did MaMhlongo manage to heal her?” Sokalisa sighed and shook his head.

“You have to call MaMkhize. She knows someone who might be able to help our daughter. We have to move fast before whatever is happening to her, causes a permanent damage.” Fundiswa just broke down and wailed. Sokalisa brought her into his arms and comforted her. “Our daughter is going to be okay, mkami. You need to have faith. Faith will get us through this stage. In a few days everything will be back to normal. You just need to trust your God.” Fundiswa stopped crying and looked at him.

“My God?” Sokalisa chuckled.
“You believe in him and I believe in my ancestors, so he is your God not mine. Anyways, call your mother. We will be preparing for the journey in the meantime.”

“I left my phone at home. Give me yours.” Sokalisa blinked a few times.
“Use it at your own risk. Don’t faint on me if you find out about my side chicks.” Fundiswa changed instantly.
“Side chicks? Are you kidding me right now? Don’t you have enough women in your life? What the fuck do you need side chicks for? Hhe this old man.” Sokalisa chuckled.
“Don’t swear emzini wami and I don’t have side chicks. I have enough on my plate.”

He took out his phone from his pocket and handed it to her. She dialed her mother’s number and she answered after a few rings. Sokalisa stood up and went to give his son orders. MaMkhize answered her phone after two rings.

“Mkhwenyana, what a pleasant surprise eksen kangaka.” MaMkhize said cheerfully.
“Mah, it’s me.” Fundiswa spoke in a less cheerful voice.
“Fufu what is wrong?” her mother could detect from just those two words she said that Fundiswa was definitely not okay.
“Someone is bewitching Azanda ma and it’s really bad. MaMhlongo can’t help her. She said you might know someone who can help her, so we are on our way there.”

“Nkosiyami. What happened to my granddaughter?”
“She woke up with her voice gone. Her legs swollen with blisters. It’s really bad ma.” MaMkhize sighed.
“I will go and talk to Mangethe. Hopefully you will find everything ready for you the minute you get here. Travel safely and mtanami, don’t forget to pray. This is the devil testing you. Don’t let him win.” Fundiswa nodded.

“I won’t ma. See you soon.” she hung up and sighed before standing up.
“I can lend you a dress and a head wrap if you want.” MaVezi said standing at the door. Fundiswa turned to look at her before checking out her outfit. She chuckled.

“You know how crazy it gets when kids are involved.” MaVezi nodded and also chuckled.
“I can relate. I once went to Benedictine wearing only a petticoat and barefoot when Sethulo was shot.” Fundiswa cracked a smile. She could’ve laughed if it was under different circumstances. “Come on.” They went to MaVezi’s house.