CHAPTER 13

NARRATED

“WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED?” Sokalisa high voice scarred each and every one of them and no one dared to answer because as much as they could feel his anger, they were also angry that they didn’t get their sister away from the fight in time for her not to get injured and they were also angry at Mcebisi for punching Azanda. His punch caused more harm. They were now at the Buthelezi household which was situated at Egudu. The minute they got home, they told MaMhlongo, the first wife, about what had happed and she immediately attended to Azanda. She was a healer, so she kept many types of traditional antidotes and venoms. MaNene had been contacted and she was on her way here.

“Mcebisi punched her.” Sethulo answered and his brothers gave him the ‘what the fuck’ look because they knew their father could call a hit on Mcebisi even now and he wouldn’t live to see sunrise tomorrow morning.

“WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU WHEN SHE WAS PUNCHED?” Sokalisa continued roaring lika an angry lion. He felt like their presence meant his daughters would never be harmed or even be bitten by mosquitos because they would protect them and each other.

“The thing is baba, I accidentally told dade that Nkululeko came and asked for her hand in marriage. That angered her and she went to punch him. Then words were exchanged and a fight broke out between everyone. She was trying to stop it when she got punched.” Mnyamane said. Sokalisa moved so fast from where he was to get to where Mnyamane was and nearly strangled him but Zithulele held him back with the help of Zikhethele.

“What type of alcohol made you wanna spew that nonsense? We made a vow that she would never find out about that. Why the fuck did you tell her?” Sokalisa was like a raging bull. Anyone in the yard could hear him shouting.

Upon arrival, MaNene parked her car and left the engine running as she jogged to the main house. She found the wives with Nyezi, Lusanele and Makabongwe, Sokalisa’s daughter.

“Where is my daughter?” she couldn’t talk properly because she was panting.

“Get her water Nkanyezi.” MaMhlongo said. “Come this way.” She held hand and led her to the bedroom which Nyezi and Azanda used whenever they came to the Buthelezi household. Azanda was lying in the bed fast asleep. MaNene moved closer and saw how swollen her cheek was. She had even developed a rash. She turned to MaMhlongo. “I made her lick isibiba (snake venom). She is going to be fine and the swelling will go down eventually.”

MaNene sighed and sat at the edge of the bed. She caressed Azanda’s cheek and Azanda flinched a bit in her sleep. Nyezi walked in and handed her mother a glass of water. “Can you please go and turn off the engine?” she downed the water on one go.

“Sis Lusanele already did.” Nyezi replied and MaNene nodded.
“Where is your father by the way?” MaNene asked.

“Can’t you hear him shouting? I am pretty sure they are planning to go on war or something.” MaMhlongo said as she walked out. MaNene also stood up and went outside. She could hear Sokalisa shouting from one of the rondavels in the yard. She followed his voice until she got to the door where the men were at. She opened the door and walked in. Sokalisa stopped shouting the minute his eyes landed on her.

“Mkami.” He said softly. MaNene gave him a stern look.
“Your shouting is giving me a headache. I am so tired and I need to sleep.” with that, she headed out and Sokalisa quickly followed behind. Just as she was about to reach the main house, Sokalisa grabbed her from behind and turned her to look at him. He stared down at her as he scratched his head with his other hand.

“I am sorry for the shouting mkami. I am just upset that my princess got hurt in the presence of her brothers. They were supposed to be keeping her safe and not involving her in boy fights.” MaNene rolled her eyes and yawned. “I will tell Makabongwe to set up the guest room for you.”