CHAPTER 18

VELISANI JIKI

Dating a guy like Zithulele is very challenging. Although I know my worth and know how to stand my ground, it can be difficult when I am faced with a charmer like him. We haven’t talked about the fiancé thing since that day at Nongoma Inn and whenever I try to raise it, he just shuts me up with a kiss or change the subject by talking about something more fun or interesting. I have learnt to understand that he doesn’t wanna talk about his fiancé at all and I have decided to let it go, for now. He is not off the hook that easily.

We have upgraded to seeing each other almost every day when he is not busy. I really love him and I know that he loves me too. He shows it to me every day. And he has started showing me off to people. Many rumours have been going around about him and I but I learnt to never listen to them from a young age.

Well he has some serious Veli withdrawal symptoms and he has been sulking about me going to Jozi for a few days now. At some point he even suggested that I don’t go, and then I had to remind him how important this thing is to me and Izimbali Zomhlaba. After sometime, he accepted that I am leaving but he asked to spend the full day and night with me, away from home 2 days before our departure. When mom asked, I just told her I will be sleeping over at Azanda’s home because we had some serious things to take care of before we leave. I think she suspects that I am dating but doesn’t know how to address this issue, or even ask me.

So being the extra guy that my boyfriend is, he booked us into BON Hotel Waterfront which is in Richards Bay. He also said he had some few activities planned out for us to do during the day. At exactly 5 am, he comes to fetch me. I am not an early riser, but I made an exception for him. He hugs and kisses me before opening the passenger door for me. I thank him as I slide in. he also climbs in and drives off.

“So how are you this morning swidi lami?” I smile and look outside the window. The first time he called me ‘swidi lami’ I was confused. I was like ‘why would you call me a sweet?’ and then he made me listen to some song by an old singer, Mbongeni Ngema called Stimela. It is a really great song and I love it so much.so every time he calls me ‘swidi lam’ I just blush and he knows it.

“I am good sambulela Sami selanga.” He laughs out loud and I join him. He makes this weird think of squinting his eyes when he is laughing. You would think he is feeling pain or forcing it, but in fact that’s how he is naturally. And I have come to notice a lot of things that he does which I am sure people don’t know. I know that when he blinks a lot while interrogating him, it means he is clueless as to what you are asking him of. When he clears his throat, that means he is guilty.

“You should call me that all the time.” I chuckle and shake my head.
“Too much work. I prefer Lele.”
“But that’s the name of that hip hop artist related to the Zulu princess.”
“He is their Lele and you are my Lele because I am the only one who gets to call you that.” he smiles and rolls his eyes while turning his whole focus on the road. “Anyways wake me up when we get to our destination. I am so sleepy.” I say as I yawn.

“No. no. no baby. You are not going to sleep and let me drive alone.” He opens the car center console and retrieves a Red Bull can. He hands it to me. “Here drink.” I give him puppy eyes as I take it. “Those eyes won’t work on me this time around. This day is all about you and me. I will watch you sleep at night. Not now.” I pout as I open the car and drink half of it. I hand it back to him. He downs the rest on one go and places the can back on the console. 

On the way, we talk about anything and everything. He also tells me that he recently had a fight with his dad where he even told him about me but doesn’t specify the main reason behind the fight because I know it isn’t me. He also mentions that his father is lighter nowadays and happier. Well I think his mood has everything to do with him getting back together with Azanda’s mother and him fixing his relationship with his daughter.

When we get to the hotel, he checks us in and we go take a nap in our beautiful suite before going on today’s adventures, which include boat riding, sushi tasting and some chilled afternoon at a bar. By the time we head back to our suite, we are kak tired. We just take separate showers and then cuddle all night.
--
AZANDA

“I want you to call me the minute you get settled in. call me Azanda, or even send me a call back, I will call immediately.” Mom says for the hundredth time. I smile and hug her once more, hoping it will take away her anxiety.

“Mom this is not my first trip to Jozi. Please relax. Plus we will be safe at all times. Your husband made sure of that.” Sokalisa did not only organize a driver to drive us to Jozi and anywhere we want to go, but also organized a few of his men to make sure we are safe at all times. I only found out about that because I eavesdropped on their conversation and when I confronted them, he gave me that ‘it’s done’ tone and I didn’t have the energy to carry on.

I give Sokalisa a hug which makes him tense for a bit but then he returns it after a few moments. “I am going to miss you.” I say with a smile. He chuckles.
“Not as much as I am going to miss you and your smart mouth.” He says kissing my head and I giggle. I catch mom at the corner of my eye tearing up. She then comes and joins in on the hug making me and Sokalisa laugh.

“I am so happy that you guys have reconciled.” She says with tears rolling down her cheeks. I wipe them but it’s futile because they keep falling.
“Well take care of your onion Sokalisa.” They both laugh.

All our bags have been loaded in the Fortuner we are going to be travelling in. only the 5 of us are leaving. Nombuyiselo, Nomthandazo, Sisanda, Veli and I. we hug our parents one more time and then climb into the car. By the way, Sokalisa bought me enough data to last me for 3 months and mom bought me R200 airtime just to call her on the duration of our stay in Jozi. I then bought all net voice bundles so that I can talk to her for as long as I want.

Nomthandazo and Sisanda settle in the seat near the boot, Veli and I in the middle seat while Nombuyiselo settles in the front seat. She said she doesn’t mind chilling with the driver and chatting to him all the way to Jozi. Well Mbuyi can talk, a lot, so I know they won’t run out of things to talk about. We do the final wave at our parents before the car takes a corner and joins the main road.

“Finally!” Sisanda says raising her hands in the air. “Driver please pass by the tavern so that we can get something to quench our thirst.” We all laugh.
“Seconded friend.” Mbuyi says and the driver just chuckles. Veli’s phone rings and she giggles but doesn’t answer it. Instead she sends a message.

“And then?” I give her a quizzical look.
“Hhay wethu,” she waves her hand around. “I will talk to him when you’re all asleep.” I roll my eyes and she laughs.
Well Jozi here we come. I wonder what you have in store for us and how will working with the Yakhanathi Organization be like.
.
.
.
#Isigodi
#MinenhleNkosiTheAuthor