Bloodlust Chapter One

Chapter one: Scarred Reflection

Seconds turned into minutes, minutes into hours. Hours melted into days, while the days grew to be a lifetime for myself and Ben. It became days before I heard back from the police station about my parents condition. They called almost a week after the accident and to tell you the truth, I had almost completely forgotten about everything that didn’t involve the attack.

          I’d just walked through the door with Ben after school when the phone suddenly rang. The shrill sound made me jump. Ben handed me the phone, but some part inside me refused to give in. Ben, comprehending that I was in no state to answer the phone, pressed the receiver to his ear.

          “Hullo,” his almost baby voice mumbled. He glanced at me as the person on the other end spoke. “It’s for you,” he told me after a moment. I took the phone out of his tiny fingers.

          “Hello,” I said calmly.

          “Good afternoon,” a man’s voice replied. “This is Officer Smith with some information about your parents, Alexandra.” He paused, waiting for an answer. It became clear that I wouldn’t be giving him one, so he continued.

          “Apparently,” he began. “Your parents were indeed attacked but by what or whom, we have no idea. Well, of course we have theories but most center on fictional creatures that wouldn’t be of any use.”

          My breathing began to shake, sounding ragged as I listened.

          “We took the bodies over to our secluded facility for some testing and what they find was rather odd.”

          Sucking in some air, I waited for him to continue. Still, I couldn’t help but think I know what he’s going to say. I can feel it.

          “It seems that the bodies had no blood left inside. The outside was scratched and torn, but the inside was almost completely empty. The veins had been ripped and the throat…” 

          Closing my eyes, I whispered, “What about the throat?”

          The phone line was silent for awhile as the officer contemplated the best way to share the information.

          “The throat had been completely ripped out. Your parents were bleeding what little blood they had left and we had to keep it from spilling. So what we did was…” 

          I blocked out the rest of his words and hung up the phone with a loud Slam! The receiver crashed to the floor as I clasped my shaking hands to my face. Tears rolled down the side of my face, free-falling to the wooden floor, staining my eyes and cheeks. I wept until I had no more water left inside. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d cried so much; it felt foreign to be weeping, and yet it was still happening.

          I’d been so caught up in my tears that I had almost forgotten Ben’s presence. He lay curled up in a ball on the grungy old couch, his eyes big, waiting for me to tell him what to do.

          “Ben”, I whispered to him. “We can’t stay here anymore.”

          His eyes widened even more, if that was possible, and asked “Where will we go?”

          I shook my head. “I don’t know yet. But I will find out soon.”

          With that said, I strode to the dining room, pulling out two chairs as I went, and said “Come, Ben. Let’s do your homework.”