𝟎𝟏|𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

Start from the beginning

"Fine. I'll keep quiet. However, only if you stop taking my missions." He scoffed at your request, but you quickly narrowed your eyes at him.

"Okay, fine. Deal. Please help her somewhere safe. Take her to Kamaji. Ask him to hire her." You sighed and turned to the girl. She looked back and forth between you and Haku.

"You have to follow my friend. If you want to survive and save your parents, that is." The word 'friend' being linked to Haku almost made you gag, but you didn't want to show it. The human already seemed in enough distress as is. She was shaky and likely traumatized.

"Human, you better not start anything. Follow me." She eyed you nervously, as Haku left to attend to his matters.

"Will this Kamaji person really hire me?" She queaked.

"I don't know. You're human... there's not much for you to do." You followed her to a steep pathway of wooden stairs. They looked old and creaked under your feet. She carefully climbed down them whilst you let yourself float. The perks of being an apprentice were simple magic such as that. In a flash, one of the steps cracked, and the girl tripped. Your arms swiftly locked around hers as you carried her in the air. She was screaming.

"Will you keep quiet? People are going to hear you!" You hissed. She covered her mouth as you descended. The door to Kamaji's workshop was worn down, and the paint was scaling. You gently turned the knob, opening the door. The sound of Kamaji turning the wheels could be heard now. The human viewed her surroundings, noticing the steam all around her. It was quite hot down there, but it wasn't unbearable or any of the sort. As you stepped in, you noticed all the dust bunnies carrying coal into the stoked fire. The girl backed away, but you pushed her forward.

"Excuse me, Kamaji. We have a situation." He turned to look at you. You saw your own reflection in his pure, black glasses.

"In what way does this involve me, L/n?" His throat was clearly dry.

"My friend here is looking for a job. She's new." You already knew he was going to refuse. The man was simply too stubborn. As he did, the human took it upon herself to provoke the soot balls. It became a mess, and you had to help her out of it. Adding to the chaos, Lin came in to serve dinner. She handed Kamaji his meal and proceeded to throw sprinkles to the small soot workers. Whilst doing so, she noticed you and the human.

"You- you're human! Y/n, that's a human! They're frantic about it upstairs!" She yelled. Kamaji, in turn, decided to help out.

"That's my granddaughter. She's looking for a job, but I'm fully booked here. I don't need any help. Could you take her to Yubaba?" Lin immediately shook her head.

"No way! There's no way I'm risking my life for some human!" That's when Kamaji pulled out a roasted newt to bribe Lin with. If only Haku had given you one... Lin eventually took it and decided to help.

"Lin, you'll share with me, right?" She ruffled your hair and nodded. The human looked to be in a daze, so Lin took charge and asked her to follow us.

"Can't even muster up a yes ma'am?" She snapped. The girl quickly replied with a faint 'yes ma'am'. It sounded weak. That's what humans were anyway. Lin made her take all her footwear off before you all made it through the tiny door. The three of you made it past some gears and woodwork before stepping into an elevator. Lin pulled the handle, and you surged upwards. You were contemplating ditching the human. For some reason, you felt like you had to go spy on Haku again. He could've been up to no good. Meanwhile, he had you running around for him like a trained dog. It was humiliating. On the flip side, you didn't want to leave Lin all alone with the girl. She likely had a lot on her mind aside from her. After all, she was a bath house worker. You weren't.