5. Offensive, defensive, reflexive

«Powers get divided mainly in three big classes» Had explained the teacher, drawing three big circles on the chalkboard «The first class is the offensive one. The second is the defensive one, and the third one is the reflexive. Offensive powers are such when they can change the surrounding world or people, like the ability to create flames, or make humans feel afraid. Defensive powers can defend oneself, maybe creating a shield around you, and reflexive powers are those that work only on the owner of those powers, for example, giving them the ability to change the tone of their voice or make them feel happy at will. Are there any questions?».

Sheldon's hand shot up in the air, impressing the teacher: that wasn't a kid that asked questions, he just appeared to know everything before anyone else, like he had been born with an instruction booklet for the world printed inside his head.

«Tell me, Sheldon»

«Miss teacher, which class would mind reading belong to?»

«Admitting such power can exist, it would be an offensive power, because it affects the people around the user: unveiling the thoughts of the others is a very private thing, and someone that has a similar ability could hurt them»

«They could, but they don't always do it!»

«No, Sheldon, of course not! But offensive powers don't only hurt others, they're called like this but they can also be pretty useful to people, for example, it could be an offensive power that of forcing others to be happy, even if this clearly wouldn't harm them»

«So, that's just classification? Offensive doesn't mean that it can do harm?»

«When this classification was invented there were very few known powers, so it was very simple. Now scientists are working on a new way to classify abilities, but until it won't be ultimated, this will be the one we'll teach you in school!»

«Alright. Thank you, miss teacher»

«No problem, Sheldon. So, we were saying... offensive, defensive and reflexive powers. Each one of these categories is divided into two others subsectors: physical and mental. Physical powers have an effect on the material reality, what you can touch, and mental powers have an effect on the way people thinks. Mind reading, for example, would be an offensive mental power, while the ability to spit fire would be a physical offensive power. I want you to try to make this little assignment: copy on your notebook the diagram you see here on the blackboard, then write inside every circle "physical" and "mental", and under physical write all the physical powers of that kind you can imagine, then do the same with the mental ones, alright?».

Sheldon started immediately: he drew three big circles, that filled the entire paper sheet, and inside each of them he wrote the name of the category: offensive, defensive, reflexive.

Then he quickly started to write, with his handwriting that was too angular to be the one of a seven year old child

Offensive powers

Mental                                               Physical

Mind reading                   Throwing super strong punches

Making people afraid   Shooting energy waves

Exorcising                          Shooting laser beams from the eyes

Defensive powers

Mental                                                                   Physical