"Aaron, this is Cassie Nolan, the very capable young lady who will be taking over the library. Aaron owns the newspaper here, Cassie – I should say, Mr. Trenholme. He does my advertising and I can recommend him and his assistant John Baldry to you for promoting business."

"Taking over . . . I don't understand . . ." Aaron gawked.

"The past few days have given me a lot of time to think, and I have decided that my library idea can offer so much more to the women in this part of our country. I'm moving on to another small town to establish another library, a centre of education and enlightenment for men and women alike. The idea that women are chattel needs to be stamped out and prove our place is not just in the home."

"You- you're leaving Tuckerville!"

"Yes, at the end of the month. By then my new book shipment will have arrived by rail at Seymore, and I have arranged for a Conestoga wagon I can take right through Destiny to Busted Gulch."

"Busted- but I thought- I was hoping.—"

"I have been aware of your- your intentions, Aaron, and you have been a perfect gentleman, but I came west to educate, as I explained, and that is my goal. I will always remember your kindness, concern, and assistance . . . perhaps you could show Cassie the same, and she is an eager and intelligent woman with the same philosophy as my own. She was also a school teacher in Baltimore."

He glanced at the young woman who sat at the desk, grinning widely.

"Are you planning on doing double duty, Miss Nolan?"

"We've discussed it with the council."

Harriet leaned forward, whispering in his ear, "She eats dinner at dinner time, too."

His face pinked slightly, and he stared at her, a smile of understanding and recognition spreading slowly across his face. He took out his timepiece and tapped the face.

"Well you missed your big meal and it's almost my dinner time, so why don't I treat you ladies to a dinner at the hotel. We can remember Amanda, wish you the best of success on your continuing adventure, and celebrate Miss Nolan's new business opportunity."

****

Wilkes recovered well enough to travel, but he took his time making the effort. Aaron seemed to be his regular fallback for company, and he found himself hanging around the newspaper more than his friend felt necessary.

"Are you sure you're okay, Thomas? You look – I don't know – confused? Shouldn't you really be heading back to your job at county?"

"Have you noticed there hasn't been one telegraph inquiry about my condition or when I might return? Nobody wondering how I'm managing after being gunned down by that woman?"

"What about your girl back home, shouldn't you write and let her know how you are?"

"I've been here nearly a month, Aaron, like I said, not one telegraph inquiry from anyone . . . including my girl."

"You still have your position with the Governor." Aaron said as he and John cleaned up getting ready to close the shop for the day.

"If I know Mayhew, he's already replaced me."

"Can he do that?"

"He's the Governor, who's going to argue?" The reply sounded sour.

"We could argue in the paper."

"Waste of time, they only read the big eastern papers where the power players appear, and the money sources are discussed. Actually, I'm thinking of maybe changing my career."

Aaron slipped on his jacket and nodded to John to get the lamp as he indicated the door to Thomas. "Not with me I hope." He laughed. "I just make enough to carry John and this place now."

"Nope, maybe take up the law."

"Here! In Tuckerville? Are you qualified?"

"Matter of fact I am. Just never followed through, politics lured me away from that path. But no, not here . . ." His face grew dark as the words trailed off.

"That's quite a decision, Thomas." Aaron studied him closely.

"Hmm - I've been giving my life a lot of thought since this." He pointed to where he had been shot.

"I imagine it would make you want to stop and think."

They all started out the door, John waved goodbye and headed for the bank, and Wilkes stopped, shoving his hands in his pockets, staring up at the darkening sky. "There is one thing . . . I haven't been able to find Miss Folio, I'd like to thank her especially, for what she did for me that day. There's another woman running the library."

"She moved into the cabin Amanda had at the other end of town next to the livery. The hotel was getting expensive and she felt Colleen would be happier after all the damage." Aaron had to give a brief explanation about the room doors.

"Thanks, I'll look her up."

Wilkes wandered away without another word and Aaron watched him go, an uneasiness settling on his shoulders.