Mrs. Krillan

"You look good." Zane smiled as he leaned against the bedroom doorframe.
"Shut up." River snapped with a glare.
Zane couldn't help but chuckle as he straightened and lumbered towards her. "You do look good," he insisted. "You look exactly like you're supposed to look." Rivers frumpy appearance carefully disguised her youthful form. The clothing was large and easily covered over the extra padding she wore. The grayish brown wig they'd borrowed from the drama house was pulled back into a spinsters knot. A mole graced her nose, curtesy of Micah. She no longer looked like a young pretty girl. And that was what they'd been aiming for.
"I look like a witch." River sighed turning back to the looking glass.
"Well, if the shoe fits." Micah said with a grin as he entered the room. "Everything's all set, Zane."
"Good. Come one, let's leave River to finish he preparations." Zane said knowing he needed to get Micah out of that room as soon as possible. In River's current mood, Micah's version of humor could prove to be lethal.
"What?" Micah protested. "I figured we could help her practice her cackle."
"Sure!" River shouted as Zane pushed Micah out the door. "And when I get my cackle down, I'll cook you in my big black cauldron!"
Zane kept pushing Micah until they were down the stairs and standing on the big porch.
"Hey, what's that about?" Micah asked.
"We've got things to do."
"Like?" Micah challenged.
"Well first off, is this supposed to be a real marriage?" Zane asked the question that had been on his mind since Micah had proposed the solution.
More somber now, Micah studied Zane a moment before he answered. "Well." He finally drawled. "It doesn't have to be." Then he winked at Zane, "But I'd have thought you would've jumped at the chance to make her yours. You've been dreaming about her ever since I knowed you."
"I'd love to." Zane sighed. "But River's been making the best of bad situations all her life. I don't want her to just end up with me. If we're ever married, I want it to be because she couldn't live without me."
Micah shook his head and sighed loudly. "Boy, you are completely stupid. I hand you the perfect opportunity. You can't be happy to just have her. Oh no! You want her love and heart too!"
"Of course, cause having a woman without her heart, is like having potato salad without the eggs, Micah. It just ain't worth eating. Come on now." He clapped Micah on the shoulder. "Let's get the wagon ready to transport our dear little witch."
"That's the spirit!" Micah chuckled.
--------
"The mercantile!" Hefty groaned as he stood on the dusty sidewalk gazing at the said building. "I figured we could stop at the saloon for a little something before we ventured here."

"We take care of business first." Robert Krillan ordered. "The mercantile is a feeding ground for gossip and information." He walked through the doors with a reluctant Hefty following him.

A bald elderly man stood behind the counter putting penny candies into a glass jar. "What can I get for you?" He asked as he glanced up briefly.

"I need some of those fine cigars you have there." Robert said gesturing to the shelf behind the shopkeeper. "And maybe you can help me with something else." Robert said as he leaned comfortably against the counter. "My little girl, my daughter took off a while back and I've been trying to track her down. Her name's River."

"That's a unique name. Not too many have it." The shopkeeper commented as he studied the man before him. "There is a girl in town by that name though. She's a little sweetheart, she is."

"Do you know where she's been staying?" Robert asked, excitement coursed through his veins. He was close, he could feel it.

"Nope." The man said as he rang up the cigars. "I don't see her very often, just every now and then when she comes in for thread or buttons or such. She was just in here yesterday, as a matter of fact."

"Well, I thank you for the help you've given me. You've been more then helpful." Robert assured the man as he paid for the cigars. Taking his purchase, Robert and Hefty left the mercantile.

"Funny thing." The shopkeeper murmured to himself as he studied to two men. " daughter and father look nothing like each other. Nope. Not even a little bit."

-------
"Let me get this straight." River repeated for the second time. "You expect me to live with you, cook the meals, and call myself Mrs. Krillan without actually being your wife."

"Yup." Zane repeated for the second time.

"We'll be living a lie! What happens if your father goes to the preacher and wants to know if he married us. Do you expect the preacher to lie too?"

"Well..." Micah drawled out with a grin. "Maybe he would if you bribed him. Hey Zane, do you still have that bottle of whiskey?"

"You two are insufferable!" River exclaimed.

Zane ran his tongue over his bottom lip as he considered her words. "River, do you want to marry me?"

"Are you asking?"

Zane frowned as his gaze fell to her soft pink lips. "I'm not going to doom you to life with me. It ain't fair to you."

"Why did you even ask me if you'd already made up my mind?" River asked completely frustrated with this man. Why did he keep running his tongue over his bottom lip? Was he trying to drive her mad?

"My father killed your parents."

"You saved me." River replied watching his tongue trace his bottom lip again.

"I'm my father's son."

"There's no such thing as bad blood." Drawn by something unable to deny, River stepped forward until she was face to face with Zane. Standing on tiptoe she took his face between her hands. "If it doesn't suit you, it can be annulled." She whispered against his lips. Leaning forward, she carefully traced his bottom lip with her tongue. "I think you might be my saving grace." She whispered just before she again traced his bottom lip. The look of surprise on Zane's face nearly unnerved her. She wished she knew what he was thinking. His eyes were bright, intense as he attempted to look into her soul. River lowered herself. "Micah, will you fetch the preacher please?" Her eyes never left Zane's as she spoke.

"Sure." Micah stuttered. He took off at a run for the small whitewashed house that stood next to the church.

"I've never been kissed by a witch before." Zane mumbled, his voice was husky as his eyes caressed her lips.

"I didn't kiss you." River reminded him as she turned to follow Micah.

Zane watched as she hurried off. "That woman is a vixen." He mumbled to himself. He found himself wishing that she had kissed him. He wondered what her lips would feel like against his. "Silly woman." He grumbled. "It isn't healthy to tease a man. It just ain't healthy."

A/N- THANKS FOR CHECKING OUT MY STORY! IF YOU LIKED IT PLEASE VOTE!

EVERY VOTE AND COMMENT MAKES MY DAY!

ALSO, IF YOU HAVE A HISTORICAL ROMANCE YOU WANT ME TO CHECK OUT, TELL ME THE TITLE IN A COMMENT AND I"D BE GLAD TO TAKE A LOOK!

I LOVE HISTORICAL ROMANCES AND I'M ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ANOTHER GOOD ONE!

CHECK OUT MY OTHER STORIES!

HAVE A GREAT DAY<