Chapter 36

The following day, Steven went to Malaysia's parents's house. Even though he knew how they felt about him, he still wanted to let them know that he was going to ask Malaysia to marry him and ask for their blessing, out of respect.

"Come on in. Where's malaysia?", asked Barbara.

"At home. I can by myself...she doesn't know I'm here", said Steven as he walked into the house.

"Is everything okay?", asked Barbara.

"Everything is great actually. I just wanted to talk to you and—"

Will came down stairs.

"Him", Steven said finishing his sentence.

"If you hear to tell us that Malaysia is pregnant again. We already know. I don't know what your plan is for my daughter. I don't know if you're trying to trap her—"

Steven interupted him. "I'm actually trying to marry her", said Steven.

Barbara and Will both got quiet. Barbara was taken by surprise and Will was furious.

"Marry?", asked Will in a calm voice.

"Yes and outta respect I wanted to ask you guys. I mean I already know the answer because you guys don't like me but I just wanna add that I plan on getting my shit, excuse me, life together", Steven said correcting himself. "I wanna set a better explain for my kids...I don't want them to think that what I do is a good thing. I didn't have a dad for guidance...my mom did what she could but I didn't listen. I was too focused on helping her, that I didn't care what it took and I just got used to that type of lifestyle and never improved myself...Malaysia makes me see and realize that I can do so much more and that the streets is not all I'm about. She's right. It's not and I wanna prove that to her. She loves me and I love her. As of right now, we're together and we're happy. As long as I'm making her happy, you guys should be happy for her, not calling her names and bringing her down."

Will looked to the side and Barbara looked at Will because she knew what Steven was referring to.

"Your opinions really matter to her so it hurts her when you guys don't agree and show hostility", said Steven. "Matter a fact, you guys don't have to agree with her being with me. But the least you can do is respect her and our relationship. Most of this I'm not referring to you Mrs. Barbara. It's more so your husband", said Steven as he looked at Will.

"You can get out", said Will.

"Gladly", said Steven.

"And no you can't marry my goddamn daughter", said Will.

"That's her decision. I just didn't want you to say that I didn't ask", said Steven before he left.

Barbara shut the door.

"That boy and Malaysia done lost their damn mind", said Will.

"He's right though. Yea you have a problem with it but the only thing you're doing is pushing your daughter away...at this point the boy is changing himself around. That's a start.", said Barbara.

"He ain't changing", said Will. "He just saying that to keep her reeled in. You really think he isn't going to be the same person? People don't change."

"Yea...I know", said Barbara as she walked passed him.

"What is that supposed to mean?", asked Will.

Barbara stopped walking and turned back around. "You're so full of yourself. You wanna belittle your daughter about who she's with, but yet I'm with a narcissistic. You should really fix yourself first before you go talking about people. Besides, you're right. Some people don't change, especially when they have people in their ear doubting them", said Barbara. "I am your wife and usually I stick beside you on your opinions. I did agree that Malaysia could do better but...it's Malaysia's life. Let it go. She loves this guy. From what I know he cares about her and isn't harming her. He has money, despite what does it did...Malaysia is still doing her business...just let it go"

Will didn't say anything.

Barbara went upstairs.

(WITH MALAYSIA)

"Oh my gosh. Your facial features are coming in nicely", said Malaysia as she looked at King. "Such a handsome boy."

King smiled at her.

Malaysia gasps. "Are you smiling at me?", asked Malaysia in a baby voice.

Steven walked into the house.

"Why didn't you lock the door?", he asked.

"I thought I did", she said as she looked at him.

"You didn't. Malaysia please remember to lock the door", said Steven.

"I'm sorry", said Malaysia.

"Just be more careful please. I don't need anything happening to you guys", said Steven.

Malaysia looked at King.

"Steven I got him to smile", said Malaysia. "I thought he'd be mean mugging everybody like you do."

Steven walked to Malaysia and King and sat down on the floor with them. "Let me see him?", he said.

Malaysia gave King to Steven.

Steven began holding him as he talked to Malaysia.

"I just got off the phone with Serenity and she said she could watch King for the weekend while we go on a little trip", said Steven.

"Where?", asked Malaysia.

"It's a surprise", said Steven.

"Yea but I don't wanna go to far. I don't wanna be that far away from my baby", said Malaysia.

"Malaysia everything will be okay", said Steven.

"Steven, you don't know that", said Malaysia.

"And this is why we need this trip. I care about King as much as you do but you're too overly worried. It's okay and he'll be alright", said Steven.

Malaysia began to get nervous.

"Malaysia it'll be okay. You need this trip so you can learn to chill and relax", said Steven.

"Well can't he just come with us? I mean like we're just driving right?", she asked.

"Nah. We're going out of the country and besides, I want this weekend to me just you and me", said Steven

Malaysia sighs. "Okay", she finally said.

"So have you been looking for a house?", asked Steven.

"I found a few actually. All under 300,000", said Malaysia.

"Okay", said Steven.

"I also found a few jobs for you. I wasn't really sure about your qualifications but they're all saved on indeed on my laptop", said Malaysia.

"Alright, bet. Thank you", said Steven.

"No problem", said Malaysia. "I guess I'll cook us some lunch. Are you hungry?"

"Starving", said Steven.

Malaysia stood up and walked to the kitchen.