The Competition

It had been 3 weeks with the group and there was one weeks left of camp.  It was Monday and Ms. Stacey had decided to do a Minnie skating competition.  Whichever two kids did the best would be going to Roller Derby camp.  The group and I did what we did every day- skate and do those silly kids rink list.  I didn't like doing it.  Especially to Amanda.  What she said a few weeks ago stuck with me.  I needed friends I could trust though, so I stayed with the group.

"Kids gather round.  It is time for the competition.  If someone needs help, then help them and if you try to hurt anyone to win you will be eliminated and I won't even consider you for the next camp. Who's read?" Ms. Stacey asked.

"We are!" The kids and I shouted.

Everyone started to skate.  We did all the tricks and anything roller-skating related we knew.  The group and I were having a great time. But all of a sudden Cassey stopped, glared and tripped me.  I fell on the ground yelping in pain.  

"Oh, does the little baby need help? Call 911!"  Cassey joked.

I stared and cried in fear.  All of a sudden Amanda skated over and helped me up.  

Let's finish this competition together!" she said

I nodded.

The rest of the competition we skated and laughed together like best friends.  Nothing like what me and the group had done.  And that's when I realized what I had been doing wasn't okay.  I was hurting other people just like Amanda had done to me.  But I wasn't going to be that girl anymore.  I was going to skate my own story.

When the competition was over Amanda, and I sat on a bench waiting for the results.

"Amanda," I said.

"Yeah?" She asked.

"I'm sorry about what I have been doing.  You were right and it shouldn't have taken this long for me to realize that.  Whatever happens with the results can we stay best friends?" I asked.

Amanda smiled and nodded.

"Okay people time for the results," Ms. Stacey started.  "The first person making the cut is... Leah!"

I couldn't believe it. I was sobbing with happiness.

"And the last person making the cut is... Amanda!"

Amanda screamed as we jumped up and down.  That was the day that my life was about to change forever.  And it was also the day I made a best friend.  Soon to come would be Roller Derby Camp.  But for now, I had everything I needed.