"Okay."

About half an hour later, we're walking up Park Street, looking for Fahrenheit 451, arguably one of the best book stores in California. Bel is trailing behind with Neki, James and Parker on either side of me.

"Why didn't you tell us it was your birthday, El?" James asks.

I shrug. "I don't celebrate it."

"Why not?"

"You have them every year until the day you die. It isn't really that special to me." I look at James.

He studies my face, and then he nods.

"Here."

I turn to Parker as he begins to walk into a store. The others say something about waiting outside. As I follow him, I realise it's Fahrenheit. I take a deep breath in as we enter, the smell of books instantly brightening my mood. Walking past Parker, I make my way over to the fiction. I love fiction. It sucks you into a world that's better than yours, and 9 times out of 10 has a good ending.

As I read the back of a book, arms wrap across my shoulders from behind, softly pulling me back into their chest. I quickly recognise the warmth as Parker's, and lean back into the embrace. He rests his chin against the top of my head, sighing.

"We can go home after this if you want." he says into my hair.

I nod. "I'd like that."

"I'm sorry for pushing you to skip school. I just thought you'd rather do something you like."

My heart feels heavy as I turn to him. I feel like an asshole.

"Don't be. It was nice of you, I just hate birthdays." I sigh, smiling a little.

Parker smiles a little, but I can tell he still feels guilty. I hold up the book in my hand.

"At least I'll have this when we get home."

He takes it from me. "I'll buy it."

"No you won't." I frown.

He begins to walk to the till. "It's your birthday."

"It's Tuesday." I say, taking the book from his hand and walking towards the till myself.

I smile at the cashier as she looks at me blankly, and then at Parker. Her eyes linger on him for a little too long and I look down as the I begin to feel the jealousy creep up my neck. Get a grip Elena.

"That'll be $8.99." she says, her eyes flicking to Parker again.

I pull my phone out my back pocket, but before I even get my apple pay on, Parker leans around me, tapping his phone. It makes the little beep sound and I sigh, turning to him.

He looks back at me, grinning. I want to be annoyed, but he looks so pleased with himself. It's adorable.

Parker leans forward, planting a kiss on my cheek.

"Happy birthday beautiful." he says softly, tapping my chin before beginning to walk out the store.

My heart flutters and I can't help but smile, despite how much I hate today.