Unification

Rabbit Who Plays Flute was one of several Two-Spirits in the Northern Cheyenne Tribe that occupied the Great Plains. Their camp, a fairly large and diverse group of the People, was situated at the base of the Black Hills. Displaced further West after the Chippewa attempted their genocidal attack against them and even further as smallpox, brought by the invading whites, began decimating all the tribes, they nestled here, finally at rest, living a nomadic existence. To the South lay lands occupied by the Lakota, a tribe long allied to them. The encroachment of the white man was beginning to increase, and the frequent movement of the people was necessary to avoid conflict if possible. The voracious invaders were worse than locusts. They chewed and destroyed everything in their path, and Rabbit knew that one day they would spell annihilation to their quiet way of life.

     Rabbit was a treasure to his people. A true Two-Spirit, he lived happily. His talents were unique, valued, and very non-traditional. He did bead work that was highly prized by all in the tribe. Almost everyone wore some piece of his artistry on their person. He carried the nearly lost art of pottery making in his soul as well, providing all with his creations, from water jugs to bowls and storage containers. And he crafted flutes. All of these talents, often proscribed to women as their duties, were his expertise as well and the women gathered around him every day for 3 hours, at his workshop,  following his lead in applying his bead designs to buckskin, firing the bowls to his specific directions, painting and decorating the nearly finished flutes after he completed carving the delicate instruments. Their creations were highly prized and were quickly traded at gatherings and powwows, bringing great wealth and renown to his tribe. 

     Rabbit was still young, barely 18 years old, and he had also spent time learning to hunt and the art of war, but his natural inclinations placed his solidly into the tribe's third gender of Two-Spirit. One day he would choose, or be chosen by some worthy warrior, (a man not Two-Spirited), as his mate, but nobody fully appealed to him, and since carrying a child was not an option, he was in no real hurry to choose a partner yet.  Then they would adopt children. After all, Two-Spirited people were known to be the Nannies of the Orphans. One such couple, two women, had five adopted children already. The Two-Spirited partner was his cousin, Woman With Red Arrows, and her partner was Running Deer. Red Arrows was one of the tribe's most prolific hunters, and she was a warrior with many enemy scalps to her credit. He hoped, one day, to be as happily mated as Red Arrows and Running Deer were.

     Today was a special day and the entire tribe was excited. It was excitement that was tempered by sorrow, however. They were opening their arms and inviting a group into their midst. They were relatives from the East who had been attacked and almost decimated by the Chippewa. The enemy had come one day as several of their best fighters and hunters were away on a hunt. The men arrived back to dead bodies, strewn, broken, and bloodied amidst the tall grasses, and only a few women and children had escaped to safety to a dug-out hill, led by their medicine woman.  

     The newcomers' young Chieftain, Cloud Chief, was a full brother to their own Chief, Soaring Hawk. He had been adopted by their Uncle and sent to his tribe back east, since the old man's two sons had died from smallpox. The old Chief had been one of those murdered in the attack. Cloud Chief was to join Soaring Hawk once more and their bond, still strong and devoted even after years of separation, would add to the tribe's prestige. A grand celebration, to honor the dead and welcome the new members, was planned for this evening.

     And Rabbit Who Plays Flute was in the thick of things, as usual, setting up low tables around the massive campfire ready to be lit later that night. Delivering large platters to be used by the people manning the spits, that held huge cuts of buffalo, deer and smaller game, slowly roasting for hours. Bowls were sent to the women preparing the fry bread and maize and vegetables as side dishes. He scurried around, setting up an area for the flute players, of which he was one, and for the drummers whose beat would propel the singing and dancing. He was followed closely by all the children, eager to assist him and just as eager to divert him, if possible, for a quick game of tag. His laughter peeled across the camp and kept everyone energized and industrious.

     Running Deer passed by him, pausing to give him a quick hug and a piece of warm fry bread, and he grinned his wide, infectious grin, the teeth shining like the sun. He was truly the most beautiful person among them all, and she could not help grinning back. 

"     Where are you going now?" She asked him. He was carrying fresh clothing, and he replied, " To the river. I want to freshen up before they get here. I've been at this for days and can't stand myself right now."

     Running Deer laughed. " Go! A stinky Rabbit is not acceptable!"

     He took a huge bite of the bread and waved as he headed off.

     When Rabbit arrived at the river, he hiked a bit downstream to a deep pool, that was fueled by a hot spring that kept the flowing water warm to the point that it was just bearable. He poured a distilled oil made from lemongrass and various light herbs and rubbed himself all over, massaging deeply, then rinsing. He washed his hair twice and ran a wooden pick through the tangles and settled back, eyes closed, and rested the aches from a week's worth of hard work out of his lean muscles. The calls of songbirds sounded throughout the forest, and he was almost lulled into a nap when suddenly, they stopped. It took a moment, but the eerie calm shook him out of his daze. Then the sharp crack of a twig being stepped on cued him that he was no longer the only person on the river. 

Rabbit rose cautiously, his head and shoulders first. Then he stood waist-deep, scanning to look downstream. Nothing in sight. He turned slowly and watched as a figure, bent to sip water from a dripping hand, was alerted to his movements and rose swiftly to face him, The two men stood as if struck by lightning. Rabbit was frozen as his black eyes stared into a pair of light golden-brown ones, The warrior was handsome beyond measure. Each feature perfect.  Glowing, red-copper skin burnished and flawless. High cheekbones, full mouth. A blue, beaded headband with a white cloud pattern, that had been made by Rabbit's own hands, held back straight ebony hair, a requisitioned gift that had been requested several years ago by Soaring Hawk for his younger brother. 

This was the great and glorious young leader, Cloud Chief, and he far outshone any of the legends proceeding him. Rabbit felt his heart begin to beat, thudding painfully in his chest and he raised his hand to it, trying to still it but to no avail.

The man upstream caught the movement and recognized it, because he felt the same pounding within his own chest. He had never seen anything as exquisite as the man in the pool, ethereal and dripping with beaded water that made him glisten as he stood quietly, hand-to-chest in the dappled sunlight. A man of tightly held emotions, Cloud Chief was rooted, rocked by something he had never felt before, in fact, had never imagined before. He felt himself tremble, something he rarely did, so he mentally shook himself and nodded briefly before walking to his waiting horse, and mounting its strong white back in a single, fluid movement. He took one last, hungry glace at Rabbit and melted into the thick forest, completely out of sight.

Rabbit remained staring at the place where the vision in white buckskin had disappeared. That look that said, 'I want you. I will have you', was burning in his brain. He moved in stunned silence as he left the pool and slipped into fresh clothing, suited for the day's festivities. He was beyond excited at this point. If this was the famous Cloud Chief, he could not wait to get back and see the entrance he would make at camp. He knew who he would be dancing and playing for tonight. He smiled as he made his way home.