To Learn and Live

He was awake, yet he kept his eyes closed. He could hear someone whispering. Though Jordan could only understand little parts of it here and there, he pretty much knew what was going on. Spark was dead, he was there, so he would know that much. What surprised him was that it seemed like he had been sleeping for a few days again. At least that's what the whispers were talking about.

And something else seemed weird. Even without the whispers he could tell that someone was in his room. According to the whispers that someone had only left his side once since he passed out, and that was to attend Admiral Spark's funeral. However, Jordan refused to open his eyes. He didn't want to wake up and face another tragedy, not yet.

The whispers started to disappear again, leaving him in complete silence. He would just go back to sleep, like he had done yesterday as well. But his plan changed when a soft, but cold hand got a hold of his and started to stroke the back of it. Now he really wanted to know who this person was, but opening his eyes and facing the world again, no that wasn't an option yet.

"It's ok, you don't have to open them." a soft and sad voice said. Jordan couldn't help it, he knew who that voice belonged to, so he finally slowly opened his eyes. As soon as he opened them he wished he wouldn't have.

Sitting on a lonely chair right next to his bed was his lady, tears in her eyes. "My lady.." Jordan started, slowly just to feel his throat burn again. She shook her head, "It's not your fault, even if it would have been me who stayed with him that day I couldn't have done anything to help him. He had overstayed his days on this earth already and I knew." she read his thoughts, her voice shaking more with every word.

Jordan freed his hand from her's, only to sit up and and take it back. He looked at her, wiping the tears, that had started to roll down, form her cheek. "I still do feel sorry my lady. His last moments should have been with you, not me." Jordan said, a pained expression on his face, his throat was burning like hell. His family deserved to have his last moment, not some stranger he didn't even know.

Ianite shook her head slightly. "I believe it was best that we did not see him like that. Especially Martha. This way she can keep him in her memories as the strong and loving father he was for her." a sad little smile on her face.

Jordan nodded, maybe it was, maybe it was what he had wanted. And then he remembered the promise he made, the last wish Spark wanted to be fulfilled so badly. Again Ianite seemed to read his thoughts without a problem, the sad smile turning into a thankful one. "Thank you, Jordan. Thank you for letting me see this. Now it feels easier to go on without him." she said while stroking his hand, tears still glistening in her eyes.

After this, neither of them said anything. They were just sitting there in silence, exchanging looks from time to time, till morning broke.

~6 months later~

Jordan stood up and wiped the sweat from his forehead. The sun was burning down on Ruxomar today, looked like Mianite was in a good mood for once. Didn't happen too often, most of the time it was raining or cloudy. 'Guess you get a little depressed when you lose a lot of followers.' Jordan thought and grinned.

Things had changed quite a bit in the last 6 months. Tucker had joined the blood knights, to everyone's surprise he and Jeriah got along pretty well. Sonja on the other hand was delving further into the depths of Thaumaturgy. Jordan had to admit that she was getting scarily good at it.

Wag had finally finished his wizard tower, took him long enough. He was causing some minor trouble every now and then. Mot, CountryBat, or rather Alyssa, and Tom had decided to follow Dianite back to the Inertia. Last Jordan heard from them was about 2 months ago, when they left the port of Dagrun on a ship. For business, as they had called it.