1. Welcome to Canada

Start from the beginning

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was now 7 in the evening and here was i, struggling in putting up the fairy lights above my bed. I couldn't afford to reach the desired height i wanted the lights to be. Grunting to myself, i suddenly heard a soft knock on my door as it slowly opened revealing my mom "we have visitors, come right down please" she said

"Who?"

"Neighbors hun, they even brought cake. cheesecake" She smirked knowing it was my favorite desert. Of course, my mom's tactics. Buying me to do things through food.

"I'll be down in a minute." when she was gone, i placed the lights on my bedside table and went on my closet. I grabbed a pair of black leggings and my oversized UCLA hoodie. I soon gathered all my hair and placed it on a neat bun before i headed downstairs.

"There she is" i heard my mom said making me snap my head up as i got down the stairs slowly.

There was a lady and a boy sitting in our living room. "Sweetie, these are our neighbors, this is Ms Pattie and his son Justin"

"Oh please no need for the formality. Just call me Pattie. Hi sweetheart." The lady said

"Um hi. I'm Hailey" i mumbled quietly feeling myself sink lower into my hoodie. I wasn't shy, I was uncomfortable. I was bad at meeting new people. Probably because i had a bad past with it. Anyways.

"What a beautiful name for a beautiful girl" the lady said while touching the top of my head. I pulled the sleeves of my hoodie down to my hands to cover them up. "This is my son Justin" I tried my best to not remove her hand on top of my head. I hated it when people do that. I know i'm short, no need to emphasize it. "They are our new neighbors, they live right next door." mom pointed out as a smile was planted on Ms Pattie's lips. "Right, well, we'll leave you guys here for a bit cuz we need to prepare our dinner in a minute." And with that, my mom and the lady went to the kitchen.

Oh great. Leave your daughter in the living room with a complete stranger mom. Sure. Thank you.

This right here feels so cliché to me. Moving in, meeting the neighbors, who
BTW has a cute son, and then your mom leaving you alone with the cute boy.

I fiddled with my phone and tried acting as if i was busy with something when in reality i was literally scrolling through my photos, which, i've already seen a bajillion times. Sighing, i knew to myself that they were gonna take longer to prepare dinner than i thought they would.

"Uhh, Justin right?" i tried smiling. Applause for my awkwardness.

I knew our mothers were watching. I could hear them giggling about how their 13 year old kids are getting along.

"Yeah" he said, flicking his hair to the side then bowing his head down.

He had shaggy hair that covered his whole damn forehead and a small part of his eyes, light skin, pink lips, not that i've been starring, and light brown- ish kinda like hazel eyes. Not sure.

"So uhh, how long have been living here?" I asked as i avoided eye contact. I wasn't the best when it comes to these things. Whenever i feel like someone's looking or starring at me i feel uncomfortable.

"My whole life" he answered. And then boom. Dead silence again. The only thing you can hear right now are the laughs of our mothers and the kitchen utensils.

Looking down at my hands i heard him clear his throat which made me look up to him and then down back to my hands again. "Where are you from?" He asked.