Chapter Forty: slow poison

Start from the beginning

   "And how would you know that?"

   "She's being nice, very nice. She did not insult Perry, did not snap when a teacher was yelling at her and she forgot her speech. Now that is a situation and a very big problem,"

   "Yes, indeed."

   "How is that a problem?" Dad asked. Mom and I gave him a look of disbelief. How is it not a problem? Sera being nice to someone other than us is a problem. Mom rolled her eyes.

   "I already thought about it and I'm working on it," mom said with a assuring smile. I trust her. If she say she would do it, then she would. Sighing in relief, I walked over to my seat and sat down. Serafina would be okay, she just has to be.

~~~

   Back to the house. Serenity was still raving with excitement, bouncing with so much energy. Serenity helped her class come in second place, but that wasn't the real reason she was happy. A talent agent was there as invited by her older sister whose children attended the school. She offered Serenity an opportunity, a huge one that would begin her career. I was happy for her, but I couldn't think or show it when I was worrying over my other sister.

   Serafina, I didn't want to lose her, I couldn't. I felt like I was going to lose her, along with Zayne. They were both showing signs but Serafina's was stronger. I couldn't lose my siblings or it would kill me.

   "Hey, Zach," someone whispered. I pushed myself away from the banister, turning my head to look at who called me. Perry. Perry flapped his wings, looking at me from the ceiling where he was flying close to. "Come," he whispered, "follow." Arching a brow at him, I climbed up the stairs slowly, my hands in the pockets of my pyjamas. I followed him to the third floor, straight to mine and dad's lab.

   "Shut the door," obeying, I shut the door quietly. "I know what is wrong with Serafina and Zayne," my heart skipped, as if an ominous feeling dropped on my head.

   "Are you going to make you pay you for the information? Or is this a prank?"

   "This cannot be a prank and I don't want a bribe because this concerns the people who love and care for me. Sera might be a jerk but she would never let me starve or get hurt. When I was sick, she always came to see me at the vet's. Even though she said mean words, I knew it was because she cared and that's why she was there. I don't want any of you to die, I don't want to lose you all..."

   "Perry, what happened!" I screamed.

   "Poison."

Serafina's viewpoint

   Hot, boiling heat scorched me from the inside and out. It was like the surface of my skin was sizzling and the inside getting roasted. The frantic beating of my heart was painful. It skipped every ten minutes and every time it did, it shot pang of pain across my chest and made me dizzy. I hoped the drugs I was taking would work, but it felt like it was increasing, not decreasing.

Should I worry mother more?

   I needed to tell her, but Serenity was more important at the moment. When she is alone, just when. My head hurt so much it was getting too hard to listen to things. What is wrong with me?

   "Sera, sis, let's get you to bed," I raised my head from my palm, looking up at Zach who was smiling at me. His eyes showed something else, his smile revealed something more dark. Zach has been crying. I instantly stood up, taking his stretched out hands. He helped pulled me to my feet, wrap his hand around my waist and help me forward. "Mom, I'm taking Sera to her room. Zyaire, help me carry Zayne, would you help me?"