Book Thirty-three: ominous

Rominic's viewpoint

   The burning afternoon sun shone on me, mercilessly scorching my skin but I couldn't move a muscle, I had to endure it all to support my daughter. I could do that with an umbrella, but apparently, it would disturb the other audience. I don't know who's the genius that decided to hold the competition on a freaking hot day.

   It was Friday, the day Serenity gets to lead her team to victory or failure, the second worse day of the week. The heat wasn't my only problem. Having to sit and blend in the crowd of smelly people screaming in my ears and the annoying kid wailing behind me or deciding to kick me, was another. Worrying about my daughter was the biggest. One, if she failed, I didn't want her to be disappointed and sad, I didn't want it to break her. And the most important one, even if Lavender believe it was going to be fine, I had a strong ominous feeling about her swimming. Serenity might be declared fit and well by George, but my mind and spirit always screamed at me whenever she went too close to water.

   Her previous illness had to do with her breathing, and swimming meant holding her breath for minutes and going through the stress of moving her fragile body muscles with water suffocating her. She was doing fine according to everyone else, including Serafina who I made sure to keep an eye on her, but I still felt like something bad would happen and the only one who shared that view with me was Zachary. Maybe we were just being paranoid because we love and care for her the most, like Lavender said, or maybe it's just my dad instinct warning me to be careful. Still, the feeling was there and I really hoped I was wrong.

   "Um, excuse me, Mr. Verlice? Mr. Verlice!" I felt a little tap on my thigh. I looked down at Jewels who had made herself comfortable on Zachary's laps. She was tapping me. "Mr. Verlice!" Oh, that's me. I averted my eyes from giggling Jewels to the lady shouting my name at the bottom of the bleacher. She was waving her hands aggressively, her face pale with worry and she looked like she was going to pass out.

Isn't that the coach?

Coach!

   I rose to my feet and immediately made my way down, already panicking that I was right. Did she pass out? But she hasn't even gotten close to the water yet, just her teammates. Maybe that's why she was yet to be seen. Why wasn't Lavender worried as much as I was?

   "Mr. Verlice, I need your help. Your daughter, Serene, she refused to step out," oh, "we thought we could handle her on our own but she keeps crying your name and that of her brothers. I..."

   "It's okay, just take me to her." I said, looking over at Lavender who was watching us. She mouthed a question, asking me what's wrong. I answered her with a sign. She formed her lips into a ‘o’ and nodded. I waved at Jewels and Zayne before the coach impatiently tugged at my hand, pulling me along with her. I felt stupid being dragged behind her, but I couldn't quite get her tight grip off.

   She successfully pulled me to their locker room. Serenity sat on a bench, hugging her legs with her face buried in her knees. Her body shook gently with her sobs, her little sobs. Serenity was too fragile and gentle for her own good. She had the habit of depending on people for support and believing in herself only when others do. She had somehow convinced herself that the only figures that can give her a push towards anything good were the males in her life, me and Zachary especially. Without either one of us giving her a nudge towards something she can do very well, she would never make an attempt to push forward.

   Now, the whole thing was cute, really, but it was not safe. I wanted her to be strong and confident like her sister. Serafina doesn't give a fuck what others think. At her age, she already knew how to push herself and handle situations not many her age could. Whatever she wanted, she did herself without encouragement. Even if no one believes in her, she would do it anyways and make you believe in her. She had everything it took to strive and achieve great things, but Serenity didn't. Serenity is the most talented of my children, she had it in packs, but was too afraid and shy to reach her full potential. If only she could copy Sera, she would start seeing what others see. I'm not comparing them, just wished she could be bolder. She can never be like Sera for she is her own person, but her person didn't have to be timid or a pushover.