Sirius' eyes instantly fly to where Madeye is glowering against the wall, and immediately he realizes the trust that these people have in Gwen. Dumbledore seem's resigned to her questioning as well, and if it were a different situation, he would laugh. Ninnie the Narc had become a vital player in this game, and he understood why. Maybe better than anyone.

"What do you want me to say?" Alice asks weepily, "I had no idea that the attacks wouldn't all take place. Frank was at the most high profile of the villages!"

Gwen blinks, glancing at the lanky man standing behind his wife. He speaks earnestly, "Gwenyth, Alice wanted to go tonight. I wouldn't allow it. James did the same thing. Why isn't he being questioned?"

"Because James isn't using the loyalty of others to protect himself and his unborn child. Chivalry. Isn't that a Gryffindor trait, Albus?"

The headmaster hesitates before relenting, "That would be correct, Miss. Whitlock."

Gwen nods, her eyes flitting back and forth between the solemn aurors, "I'm hoping you don't need a definition of the word chivalry. That's more Dorcas' area of expertise."

Sirius stands wordlessly behind her, glancing down at where Alice has a protective hand across her belly. A child. Would Sirius lie if Gwen got pregnant? He might have the urge to. But the veela never would. There was no place in war for selfishness. Not if they wanted to win.

"Tell me this instead," Gwen's voice is softer, her hands clasped neatly in front of her. "What happened tonight?"

Alice blinks, as if stunned by the peace offering. She's not the only one. Madeye's disgruntled by the veela's question, though Dumbledore is smiling like he knows something Sirius doesn't.

Sirius rests a warm hand on the small of Gwen's back, taking after her and waiting patiently while Alice processes what it is the veela has asked. The auror shakes her head, whispering, "I think it's too obvious for this to be a double cross. The spy has been loyal to a fault, and getting us the map at all would be a risk."

Gwen smiles, and just like that, Sirius realizes that the Longbottom's have passed her test. She nods, replying plainly, "So the Order has a loyal spy. But it's becoming apparent that we aren't the only ones."

She glances up at Madeye, affirming, "Until we get a handle on things, this stays between us. The people in this room."

Sirius watches Madeye and Dumbledore nod in agreement, and then its his turn to mumble an affirmation. The veela smiles, though it doesn't reach her eyes. Sirius can see the wear of today on her spirit. That doesn't stop her from turning to Alice and Frank and saying calmly, "Any more lies will be taken as defection. I can only imagine how hurt you would feel if Lily had been so ready to hide her pregnancy. I participate only in the case of an even playing field, Alice. Understood?"

Gwen doesn't seem younger than the pair of aurors. Not in that moment. Alice hangs her head and nods, Frank grabbing her elbow and hurrying them out of the dining room before Gwen can spill any more of their secrets.

Sirius presses his lips together, glancing sideways to find Dumbledore looking at him over his glasses. He bristles slightly, not exactly keen on the old wizard since Gwen's injury.

"Do you have a question?"

Dumbledore quirks a brow, and this time it's Gwen's turn to stand silently and listen. "What do you suppose I have a question about, Sirius?"

His frown deepens at the question, and he fights off the scathing remarks that threaten his tongue. He squares his shoulders, muttering, "The same questions I have about you, Professor."

Dumbledore smiles, and Gwen leans forward, voice demure and unaffected, "I vouch for Sirius' loyalty."

"It's not Sirius that I'm worried about," Dumbledore replies evenly, his eyes sliding to Gwen, "You're right. There's a traitor among us. I would encourage the both of you to keep discussions of the Order between the two of you."

"How long?"

Madeye grunts at Sirius' question, uncapping the hip flask that seems to be attached to his side. The room is silent as the auror takes a long drink, grimacing and wiping his mouth with the back of his fist.

Sirius wants to feel hope, he wants to feel like maybe things will get better now that they know someone is betraying them.

He doesn't. Not when Alastor Moody, one of the most talented aurors in history, says gravely,

"Until the war turns."

{{the drama. I'm dying. No—Alice isn't a spy, but she definitely wasn't looking too good! Prepare yourselves though—things are gonna get dark pretty quickly.}}