Chapter 29 - elephant ears

Start from the beginning

"The old man turned him in to the Fire Nation" Shrieks Mizuki.

"It's all my fault- I forced him into earthbending!" Cried Katara out. Sokka walks towards Katara and takes her hand in his while he puts his other hand on her shoulder.

"Slow down Katara. When did this happen?" Asks Sokka.

"Haru's mother said they came for him at midnight" Answers Katara in a sorrowful tone.

"Then it's too late to track him, he's long gone" States Sokka while Mizuki looks down, upset.

"We don't need to track him. The Fire Nation is going to take me right to Haru" Says Katara confidently while clenching her fists. Mizuki looks up at her, surprised.

"And...why would they do that?" Asks Aang confused.

"Because they're going to arrest me for earthbending" Replies Katara determined. Mizuki gasps out of surprise.

"Katara, you're a genius!" Exclaims Mizuki while Sokka and Aang glance terrified at each other.

❀❀❀

Sokka and Katara are working together to push a boulder overtop an air vent on a rocky road.

"I thought you and Mizuki were crazy at first. But this might work, there are ventilation shafts throughout these mines. All Aang has to do is send an air current from that vent to this one right here. The boulder levitates and ta-da! Fake earthbending!" Says Sokka while making gestures with his hands to emphasize his words.

"Aang? Did you get all that?" Asks Katara while putting her hands on her hips.

"Sure, sure. I got it" Answers Aang who's snapping small puffs of air at a sooty copper butterfly, not paying any attention to Katara.

"Do you remember your cue?" Asks Sokka annoyed.

"Yeah, yeah. Just relax, you're taking all the fun out of this" Replies Aang who's still not paying any attention. Mizuki sighs and sits down next to Aang.

"I'll be there to help Aang, just in case" She says while Aang rolls his eyes.

"Thanks Mizuki. And Aang, by this, do you mean intentionally being captured by a group of ruthless firebenders?" Growled Sokka.

"Exactly! That's fun stuff!" Answers Aang in a playful tone. A group of firebenders with spears approach the teenagers.

"Here they come! Get in your places!" Whispers Sokka. Aang stops playing with the butterfly and Momo tries catching it as it flies away. As the group of spear-wielding guards approach, Katara and Sokka make a show of walking into one another before emphatically shouting.

"Get out of my, pipsqueak!" Shouts Sokka while angrily pointing at Katara. The soldiers watch them in confusion. One of them even raises an eyebrow.

"How dare you call me pipsqueak, you giant-eared cretin!" Shouts Katara back as she hunches over.

"What did you call me?!" Yells Sokka dramatically.

"A giant-eared cretin! Look at those things! Do herds of animals use them for shade?!" Shouts Katara while imitating an elephant's ear.

"You better back off!" Argues Sokka while towering over his sister.

"Seriously, back off" Whispers Sokka as he slips his hand by his mouth.

"I will not back off! I bet elephants get together and make fun of how large your ears are!" Yells Katara far too dramatically.

"That's it! You're going down!" Snaps Sokka.

"I'll show you who's boss! Earthbending style!" Shouts Katara as she angrily points at Sokka. Then she leaps towards the boulder, clenching her fist upward to which there is no reaction. Mizuki quickly glances at Aang who's distracted.

"Aang!" She whispers angrily.

"What?" Mutters Aang confused.

"I said, earthbending style!" Shouts Katara again. Mizuki elbows Aang in the stomach.

"Ouch!" Groans Aang but then he realizes his mistake by missing his cue. He quickly leaps up and blasts a strong jet of air into the ventilation duct. Sending the boulder levitating into the air. As the boulder levitates Momo is seen behind the boulder, raising his arms while licking himself.

"That lemur! He's earthbending!" Shouts a Fire Nation soldier surprised. Katara and Momo each remain in their positions. Katara eyes the man in surprise. Sokka angrily waves his arms towards Katara.

"No you idiot! It's the girl!" He shouts in frustation.

"Oh, of course" Mutters the soldier, ashamed. Sokka steps beside Katara, putting his hands on her shoulders as the boulder falls down to the ground.

"I'll hold her" Says Sokka to the soldier.

"You've got twelve hours to find Haru. We'll be right behind you" Whispers Sokka before the guards escort Katara away. Sokka unhappily tugs at his ears, testing their sizes. Momo stares at Sokka in confusion.

"Momo, you have some big ears!" Shouts Sokka accusingly. Mizuki notices this and starts to chuckle.

"Don't worry Sokka, your ears aren't big" She says while patting Sokka's head.

"I never said they were!" Shrieked Sokka as he pushed Mizuki away, blushing.

To be continued

Word count: 1331