"i'm all right." coach bombay assured the team, panting for breath as his gaze fixed onto the iceland team and the angry girl in front of them. she seemed like an ant to their giants. stansson laughed at the raging girl, his team smirking in amusement. team usa was silent as they watched leah seethe, adam approaching his sister solemnly.

charlie was angry. furious. enraged. as leah stood in front of the iceland team with that same aggression, charlie felt synonymous with the girl for the first time in his life.

it was like a ribbon had tied them together in a bundle. despite how infuriating leah banks could be, she cared about what charlie also cared about. and she stood up for those things, which made charlie feel proud, inspired, and empowered. his heart began to beat, eyes solely focused on the banks girl. in that moment, charlie felt he could watch her all day.

the shaggy-haired boy then shook his head, scoffing at himself. charlie was just as angry as leah, but he'd never show it. how dare leah banks act so to the iceland coach? had she any respect for team usa's dignity? charlie huffed in annoyance as leah banks threw away the undefeated façade team usa had spent the entire season building. 

stansson threw his arms akimbo. "do you really think i care?"

leah almost screamed. her head felt hot, like a pool of lava was flowing from the top of her skull. she felt like a screaming kettle, searing red with anger. unable to muster a response, she threw herself at the slick-haired man.

she didn't get far. adam pulled her back by the collar of her shirt, scolding her with his stern eyes as she fought to attack the icelandic man.

"i'd tell you to harbour your anger for the game tomorrow, but you can't even play." stansson snickered, watching the girl writhe her way out of adam's grasp. at the comment, leah hastened. he was right, but so wrong at the same time. leah hid her smirk with a venomous glare. stansson was in for a big surprise, and leah craved the glorious taste of conquering iceland. adam stiffened at leah's darkened response. her mind was brewing something, he could sense it.

the iceland coach scowled at the glaring girl. "get your coach off the ice. we have to practise now."

with a lingering glare, team usa helped their hobbling coach off the ice. leah hadn't a clue what came over her. she was always composed, yet something about losing coach bombay and her team struck a chord so deep within her that she lost her reins. leah felt ashamed that she could act so defensive over a team she still didn't feel like she belonged to. she could defend bombay and her team all day and night, but would they do the same for her and her brother?

leah realised then that coach bombay had disproved all he'd promised mere weeks beforehand.

after a humiliating loss to stansson's cheap play, there was a lot of pent up anger simmering amongst the players. adam knew how to use that to his advantage, but he wasn't sure the rest of his team could do the same.

the sun began to set over los angeles, casting an orange glow over the dry city. the bright city lights shone brighter than the stars, forcing the sea of lights in the sky to cower away in innocent inferiority. los angeles was beautiful, but it couldn't compare to minnesota. leah wouldn't dare give los angeles the time of day.

leah puffed breaths of hot air in the basement gym, disregarding how obnoxious her huffs were in the empty room of machinery. hanging from the bar overhead, the girl used all her might to pull herself up. leah was livid.

after all coach bombay had done to prove his loyalty to the team, he'd thrown it away for a selfish chance of one-upping stansson. it wasn't a matter of beating the odds against him, it was a matter of pride. desire. glory. coach bombay had, once again, shown that he cared more about his persona than what was best for his team. leah refused to give bombay another shot at redemption.

if bombay couldn't win, leah would. she had to; for team usa. hence, the blonde girl slaved in the gym desperately trying to kick herself back into action. her wrist hadn't been sore for a while, but leah felt how weak it had become. like a bulb of glass, she could withstand incredible power. but, with the heat of too much pressure, she would crack. she needed her strength back, and though there was no time to do so before the game, leah would give all her might.

"banks," charlie frowned as he entered the humid room, "you are in here?"

leah flung around in shock, feeling her heart simultaneously excite and sink at the sight of the scoffing boy. her shoulders dropped with a newfound weight, leaving her fatigued and unbothered. leah shrugged, sweeping up her red towel and drink bottle.

"don't walk off, i want to tell you off for attacking stansson." charlie scorned, surprised by the girl's indifferent nature. leah was never indifferent, never toward him.

leah felt her heart begin to race. the beating drum echoed through her ears like a sacred tune. as his dazzling blue eyes glistened under the bright light, leah felt captured by his captivating gaze. her jaw screwed tight, fists balled closed, and ears blazed red. her ribcage heaved with each puff she breathed. charlie conway still made leah unbelievably nervous.

"i'm— i need some air." leah politely pulled her lips into a curve, heading out of the room in a hurry. charlie only watched the girl patter away. he'd tell her off another time.