9: Rage & Hatred

"My name is Hammad Idi Labo," she heard him say, and she had to pull her phone away from her ear to make sure she heard him right.

"I'm sorry, but can you say that again? I can't believe what I've just heard." She said instead, sitting up from the chair she was seated in, while conversing lovingly with Iya Agba. She knew if it indeed turned out to be Hammad, she knew whatever it was that compelled him to look for her number and call her wasn't good and it was serious enough.

There would be exchange of words, heated ones. Or maybe, he had heard about what she did to him yesterday in this same hospital and he wanted to thank her and apologize for all that he had ever done to her. Just that when he opened his mouth, she had never thought that would be what he would say.

"You heard me right. Or maybe, you weren't expecting me to live after what you've sent them to do to me?" He said, his words carried too much venom and anger that she had to pull the phone away for a moment, yet again.

She stared at blank space as she thought. "What do you mean by that? Look," she began with a heated tone, "I don't know what you're trying to play at, but whatever it is should be stopped right away. I saved your life, I understand that you usually carry too much hatred in you, but the least I expected from you is this."

He hissed and wished there was a way to snap at her through his phone. "I'll find you wherever you are. This won't do on the phone." He said and ended the call in a breath. She stared at her phone with a discombobulated expression as she thought about what all this was about and she couldn't find a single answer.

She hissed so loud that it might as well echo through the walls of the hospital before she walked back to the room, making sure her expression was as neutral as it could be. She smiled when their eyes met with Kulthum and sat down.

"You're back early today," she said and Kulthum nodded her head before she immediately stood up.

"Yes, can I please talk to you, Yusrah? When I walked in, you were on call."

They walked to the corridor and the unease she saw on Kulthum's face was making her on the edge. "What's wrong, Kulthum?" She asked with a worried look on her face.

"It's Alhaji, I don't know what he means by that but I did something on my own accord." She began and looked around, as though she wasn't sure they were safe and alone in the hospital corridor. "The twin daughters of Sadiya are now living in your chamber. One of them occupied your room and I saw one of your jewelries with them both today."

"What in the deuce!" Yusrah exclaimed and Kulthum nodded with terror in her eyes. "How dare him?!" She yelled and Kulthum sighed with a worried look on her face.

"I know, that's why I did something on my own accord. I locked your mother's room, we may not know, but she may have kept something she wouldn't wish to be found by someone else but you. When they asked of the key, I told them it was with you."

Yusrah didn't know when she pulled Kulthum and hugged her as warmly as she could. "Thank you so much, Kulthum. You really have no idea how this has made me feel, I'm so thankful." She said with a lovely smile on her lips. She felt her eyes stinging with tears but that was the closest she had ever been to tears but they weren't an inch from flowing down when they got sucked up by something and boom, they were no where to be found.

She sighed as she pulled away from the hug and collected the key Kulthum had thrusted her way. She watched as Kulthum went back to the room because she obviously needed some time alone. She kept fondling the key and felt the way her heart ached with so much pain. The lights on the corridor blinded her view and she wished she could scream her agony out. And now, even the jewelries she had so much hope had been taken away and she clearly knew that she wouldn't be able to get them back.