Chapter 20 - Creatures From Within

Start from the beginning

Why do these things keep happening to me?

"A familiar is a creature your soul is connected to," Mistress Thalia was explaining before it all happened. The whole first form was standing around their teacher at the edge of the woods. 

"This creature takes the form of an animal, whose purpose is to guide you, and aid you in your life," Mistress Thalia said, blonde hair fluttering in the cold night breeze. "The bond between familiar and human is sacred. A familiar will live as long as its host lives."

The mistress put her fingers to her lips and whistled. The shrill sound echoed into the night, lingering in the cold air.

There was a screech from above.

All students raised their heads to see a majestic snowy owl circle above them and land on Mistress Thalia's shoulder. 

She smiled, stroking its feathers, handing it something brown from her pocket, which the owl promptly ate, clicking its beak.

"As hosts of familiars, it is your duty to train them and to love them, for they are part of your soul," Mistress Thalia snapped her fingers twice, and the owl leapt off her shoulder and took to the night sky.

"Without further ado, we will now receive our familiars, simply by getting in touch with yourself, and calling them out," the Mistress turned back to the students. 

"Can I go first?" Everyone turned to see Evie Storm, blue eyes wide with excitement. "Pleeeeeeeeeee—

Wow, she sounds like a spoilt baby, Alana thought dryly.

—eeeeeeeeaseeeeee—"

Mistress Thalia stared Evie down blankly, "Very well then."

Evie squealed, running forwards to stand in front of their instructor.

"Lift your finger up and reach into your soul," Mistress Thalia said. "When you are ready, say your name and declare: 'I summon my spirit animal from inside.'"

Evie closed her eyes, holding her index finger above her head. She furrowed her brows, pursed her lips. After what seemed like forever, she whispered,  "I'm Evie Storm, and I summon my spirit animal from inside."

The woods illuminated with a flash of blue light. Evie's body was enclosed in a moving sphere of pulsing blue light. Smoke rose out of the sphere, grey changing colour to blues and purples and greens.

As quick as it came, the light dissipated. 

Standing before Evie was a beautiful peacock.

Its feathers shone of hues of blue and purple, highlighted with striking green.

Everyone gasped.

Evie's eyes widened. "This. Is. The. Best. Thing. EVER."

The peacock gazed up at the girl with wide blue eyes, the exact same hue as Evie's.

"I'm totally naming you Sapphire!" Evie said. "Sappi! Come here Sappi!"

The peacock screeched indignantly at Evie. Evie looked hurt.

"I wanna go next!"

"Me too!"

"No, me!"

Mistress Thalia held up a hand, "You may all find a suitable spot and do what Evie demonstrated."

The students dispersed, leaving Alana the only one standing with Mistress Thalia.

Alana brushed a strand of dark auburn hair out of her eyes.

"Mistress Thalia," Alana said softly. "What if... my familiar isn't as beautiful or—"

"Every single familiar is unique," Mistress Thalia said gently, brown eyes kind. "Just like everyone in the world."

Alana nodded.

Taking a deep breath, she pointed her finger to the sky and closed her eyes. She cleared her thoughts, searching deep inside her soul, for something... anything...

Alana.

The voice was so quiet Alana nearly missed it.

Can I come out?

Alana nodded. 

I'm dangerous, though.

You might not want me.

Alana did a double-take.

Was her mind playing tricks on her?

It's alright, she told the voice. I'll accept you as you are.

"I am Alana Winters, and I summon my spirit animal from—"

There was a loud crack.

Alana's eyes burst open to see purple light exploding from her body. The light enveloped her, forming a sphere around her. The sphere throbbed, flashing bright purple. 

Smoke rose out of the sphere, above Alana's head. It was forming an animal's body. Alana couldn't see what it was yet.

The purple smoke glitched to gold. It glitched back to purple. 

Gold. 

Purple. 

Gold. 

Purple.

Alana knew something was wrong. 

Then the pain struck.

Alana jerked her head back and gasped. She clutched her heart, falling to the ground.

I can't come out, the voice told her. I really can't.

Alana couldn't think. Her whole body was on fire. 

Somewhere beyond her, she could hear screaming. And shouting. 

She craned her neck upwards to see someone running towards her. She saw purple smoke rising, gold smoke encircling it, trapping it. 

Alana gasped in pain, curling into a ball on the grass.

I'm sorry Alana. 

I can't be here.

At least...

Not for now.

The smoke vanished back into Alana's body. The pain faded away.

Alana lay on her back, breathing hard.

"Alana!" 

Alana opened her eyes to see Camillia, Kiara and Evie standing over her, concern in their eyes. Lisha and Malena were running up to them, not too far behind.

Alana groaned.

"Why do these things keep happening to me?"