Part 6

Ruby POV
Cautiously, I got up and poked my head in the lobby to see what was happening. The first thing I saw was Dwayne standing face to face with Paul, them only a couple of inches away from each other. My brother's fist was clenched. David was watching from a distance, along with Marko. I saw David's blue eyes focus on me. His icy eyes glared at me, and he shook his head disapprovingly, before going back to the argument at hand. "Look, man, Ruby and I really like each other! I don't see a problem there with it then! You've had s*x with girls before! I'm sure they've had brothers too," Paul argued. "Yes but that's my only family left, Paul! And she's getting stalked by a psycho vampire who is out to kill all of us to get what he wants! Does that make you think you can just get her to f*ck!!?!" Dwayne yelled. I cringed at the last part. Trying to step away, I made a loud shuffling noise on accident. Sh*t. The yelling stopped. It was dead silent for a minute, as I stayed frozen. "Ruby." I heard Dwayne say, with a sigh. Slowly, I turned the corner and walked into the room. You could cut the tension with a knife. All eyes were on me. "....Yeah?" Dwayne gestured for Marko and Paul to leave. David stayed where he was. Honestly Dwayne doesn't have any authority over him so... Oh well. "Renee StarDust Stephens." Annoyance came over me as I heard my ridiculous real name. "I know what happened." "Don't use that name, Dwayne." I looked over at David, who had a full on smile, after hearing my name. "Ruby what the f*ck!? What's wrong with you? You have all this sh*t going on and you just do PAUL?!? Out of any of the guys PAUL TOO!" "There's nothing wrong with Paul, Dwayne! Youve got to calm down! You're acting insane!" Just as I said that, Dwayne slapped me across my face. Silence fell across the room. Marko and Paul stopped talking and looked over. Standing up, I looked Dwayne in the eyes, and pushed him to the side, and ran out. None of them came after me, not even Paul.

Marko POV

We all stood there in shock. Dwayne's never lost his temper like that. Ever. David broke the silence. He was smirking again. "Well boys, she'll be back. She's got nowhere else to go. She can't get that far. Let's go feed." Dwayne's face fell, and he followed behind David. Paul reluctantly went, too. But this wasn't right to me. I walked out of the cave, and told Paul I was going to talk to Ruby. He nodded, not saying a word. Dwayne and David looked over, understanding what I was going to do. Ruby didn't take any of the bikes, so she must not be far. After the guys sped off, I minded to Ruby. Ruby it's Marko. Where'd ya go, hun? I asked. Hmph, was all she said. Ruby, come on you can tell me. It's just me the guys left, I replied. Why would I tell you. How do I know you're not lying? she argued. Ruby trust me. I just wanna talk. She said nothing except I'm in the woods behind the beach.

I saw Ruby sitting against a tree, staring out at the ocean, like I've seen her do every time we've been to the beach. "Hey Ruby," I said. "Hi." She didn't turn, just kept looking forward. ".... Yoooou okay?" I asked, sitting down next to her. She still didn't turn. "Come on, you know Dwayne didn't mean it." She looked up, with sad eyes, and I could tell she'd been crying. She had tear stains on her cheeks and her eyes were puffy. "Then why'd he do it, Marko?" she asked. "He was just angry. You and Paul could've picked a better time to.... you know." She sniffled. "I wish I had just-just-" she stopped. "What Ruby?" "I wish when Douglas had turned me. I wish I had just let him kill me or.... I wish I had killed myself before any of this happened, Marko. Now all of my sh*t is effecting you guys. I've effected you, and Paul, even David, whether he likes me or not," she said. I scooted next to her, and put my arm around her. "Don't think that Ruby- ever. We all love you, especially Dwayne. Even David cares about you, he just doesn't show it. I love you and I wouldn't want you to ever think like that." She didn't say anything, she just hugged me, and started to bawl her eyes out. "Shhh..
Shhh... It'll be okay. It's okay, Ruby, we all love you. Don't worry," I comforted her. I stroked her hair, and held her tight. No matter what, this will be my little sister. I'll always protect her from now on. "Come on, Ruby, let's go find some food, and then we can go do something on the boardwalk. Just you and me. Deal?" I said, holding out my hand to pull her up. "Deal," she softly said, wiping her eyes.

Dwayne POV

I felt so guilty for hitting Ruby. I know Marko went to talk to her, but I still couldn't help but feel terrible about it. She still shouldn't have been messing around with Paul.
After feeding, we were walking around the boardwalk. All three of us passed Max's old video store. David stopped for a moment, and just stared into it. "Funny how well we get along without Max, huh, boys?" Paul and I just nodded, remembering how Max was killed by the Emersons, who were still in Santa Carla, but haven't been at the boardwalk for quite sometime. We started to walk on again. Then, as if I had just jynxed myself, we stopped in our tracks- standing farther away, was a sight to see. Marko standing protectively in front of Ruby, both of them facing the one and only Sam Emerson.