6

Harry's vision was blurry. All he could make out was some kind of frame with what looked like the same piece of fragment paper that was on the ground.

"What.. what was..."

Only a second has passed. And Harry's head feels foggy, like he's coming out of a dream... He can almost remember a few images... the woods... a man's face... some kind of painting?

But it all fades, vanishing from his mind.

"Weird..." Harry thinks.

As he shakes off that feeling Louis reappears behind him, "Listen. I need to go speak with Frida immediately after the show."

Louis gestures to a heavy red door at the far side of the hall.

"What's in there?" Harry asks curiously.

"It's...a private room," Louis replies.

"Like her office?"

"Not exactly. More like a private club within the club. But it might be dangerous for you to come," Louis explains.

"Oh. That's what you mean when you said there were very few vampires out here..."

"Yes. It can get a little wild in the Red Room. Vampires acting on their... natural instincts. I'll be back in a few minutes. There's plenty for you to see out here while you wait."

"I'd like to go with you," Harry says confidently.

"Are you sure?" Louis asks surprised.

"No... but how can I not check it out?" Harry smirks then adds, "And if I'm going to be your assistant, it seems like I ought to go with you, right?"

"If you want. But stick close to me," Louis says sternly, "And a word of warning. Frida can be charming and alluring."

"Well thank god I'm gay," Harry thinks but quickly grimaces when he remember Louis could read minds. Harry took a glance at Louis to see he still had a neutral face not giving anything away.

"But Frida is incredibly dangerous," Louis says.

"Right..." Harry says slowly.

A burly guard at the door gives Louis the nod. Louis takes Harry protectively by the hand as they pass into the back room.

"Huh... it's like a Vegas casino meets an opium den," Harry says looking around the so called "Red Room'.

"That's pretty much Frida's aesthetic," Louis says.

As Harry's eyes adjust, he sees something scandalous in every corner. Barely-clothed vampires lounge around, feeding off willing, equally unclothed humans. Muscular male go-go dancers undulate in cages.

"Whoa..." Harry whispers.

"You okay?" Louis asks concerned.

"I'm just going to take it all in," Harry says.

As Louis guides Harry through the room, he takes in more of the scene. At the bar, a group of gorgeous vampires laugh delightedly, fangs bared, as the bartender serves them flaming, neon-green drinks.

"Is that absinthe?" Harry asks.

"It's trendy with the under 200s right now. So tiresome," Louis frowns.

Further down the bar are several humans hooked up to machines that look like fancy IVs.

"Are they draining their blood?" Harry asks incredulously.

"Yes, but only in small amounts. Like giving blood at the hospital," Louis explains.

"Why?"

"Some vampires prefer to separate the food from the person. It's considered 'more civilized'. Frankly, I think it's an affection."