Evangeline rolled her eyes. "It is the same with my parents," she groaned. "I never get any peace. Papa has invited a guest to stay with us for a few weeks in the hopes that a courtship might blossom."

Kitty's jaw dropped. "You never said a word! Who is this man?" she asked, intrigued.

Evangeline shrugged her shoulders. "I've not a clue," she said disinterestedly. "He's titled, I believe, I think a young baronet who's just inherited."

Kitty giggled. "A young baronet?" she raised her eyebrows. "Who knows, perhaps he might be handsome enough to tempt the beautiful Lady Evangeline Dawson."

Evangeline scoffed. "I doubt it," she nudged her friend. "I would rather die a spinster than move from town. I'm not about to retire to some frightfully boring estate in the middle of nowhere just for a title."

"Bravo," Kitty commended. "I'm proud of you, my dear. Now, let's go back inside before anyone notices our absence."

The two young ladies walked arm in arm back into the ballroom which was filled with unmarried ladies and gentleman, not to mention their parents who were all anxiously watching the acquaintances their children were making.

Kitty spotted her cousin dancing timidly with one of the military men that were in town for the season. She always felt sorry for poor Sabine. Her Aunt Jane and Uncle Daniel always shipped her off to London for the season even though Sabine hated it. Sabine and Kitty were complete opposites. Sabine loved horses and literature and Kitty loved balls and dancing. Even though they had nothing in common Kitty felt as though Sabine was her third sister and a dear friend. Sabine often spent the time in town trying to control Kitty, without much success.

The ballroom was awfully abundant with bluecoats that evening. Her father had invited practically the entire navy to attend the ball which she found most amusing considering how against his daughters marrying militiamen he was.

Kitty tended to steer clear of the military men. They were nice enough company if one wanted to soil her reputation.

The Royal Navy was stationed in and around London for the summer, with their grand ships docked nearby.

Almost as soon as they two women entered the ballroom, Evangeline was claimed by her quadrille partner and was whisked off to dance. Kitty's quadrille partner was a man named Sir Harold Croft and Kitty felt as if she had to accept his invitation since it was rude to refuse. She decided to try and escape him by making her way into the crowds of people.

By doing so she inadvertently ran into her parents who were standing talking to a naval officer with her twin brother, James. She was glad that she and James looked nothing alike as they had grown. They shared the same blue eye colour and brown hair colour but they were completely different in every way which she was thankful for. She loved her brother, as any sister should, but he was a womaniser. He enjoyed many women, and he was being punished for it. For the remainder of the season he was not allowed to leave their parents side of risk being cut off financially.

"Kitty," her mother exclaimed, surprised. "I am surprised you have no partner for the quadrille, it is your favourite dance!"

Kitty smiled at her mother and stood beside her. "Alas, I don't, but no matter, it is nice to have a break every now and then. One can tire so easily from dancing all night." It was then that she decided to look up to the naval officer that had been conversing with her parents. He was looking at her most curiously, as most men did when they first saw the famous Lady Kitty Alcott.

But even Kitty had to admit that he was handsome. His dark blond hair was quite long hand was combed back neatly for the benefit of the occasion. His eyes were a piercing, bright blue, and they almost hypnotised her. He was wearing his fancy naval uniform that emphasised his lean physique. He bowed politely to her, so she curtseyed back to him.