four

content warning: smoking & brief mentions of alcohol

november 2016

Awsten thinks that this is maybe the most anxious he's ever felt in his life— and that's a big statement.

It doesn't feel so severe, though, when his nerves are combined with a lot of excitement.

He's never been to an album release party, let alone had one of this own. His feelings about it are mixed. On one hand, he couldn't be happier that he's in Los Angeles, with his bandmates, celebrating their debut album release; his girlfriend is by his side and he gets to show off to her all night, displaying his achievements in a format that she recognises.

Maybe it'll feel a little nicer if he didn't keep losing her amongst the people that they meet.

Awsten finally manages to keep her at his side for longer than five minutes when they bump into Geoff.

"Hey, man! I've barely seen you all night," Geoff catches Awsten's attention.

"Sorry, I've been speaking to like everyone," he smiles, brightly. Awsten looks past Geoff and finally spots who he's been stood with. "Oh, Emily," he says, flatly.

"Hi," she responds, in the same tone.

"Awsie," Sadie tugs on his sweater. "Who's this?" She asks, leaning against him.

"Uh, this is Emily. She works for the label," Awsten tells her quickly. "Emily, this is my girlfriend, Sadie."

"Nice to meet you," Emily offers a sweet smile, offering her hand out for Sadie to shake it.

Sadie looks down at Emily, who's standing at least three inches shorter than her. Emily swears she turns her nose up at her, before reluctantly shaking her hand.

"Could you go and get me another drink, honey?" Sadie shifts her attention back to Awsten, kissing his cheek.

"Oh, yeah, of course," he nods, working up a small smile, as he kisses her lips. "What d'you want?"

"The strongest they've got," Sadie giggles. It sounds like a joke, but Emily guesses it's not since Awsten clearly doesn't find it very funny.

"I'll come, too," Geoff offers, following after him.

A tense and awkward silence hangs in the air for a few moments. Emily doesn't know what to do. She'd feel guilty if she just walked away and left Sadie by herself— besides, she doesn't exactly want to give Awsten more reasons to hate her. She doesn't know much about the reasonings he currently has, but she wouldn't feel great adding to whatever list he's got.

"Wow, I, uh—" Emily stutters at first, clearing her throat. "I know Awsten mentioned that you're a model, but you're really stunning," she compliments, hoping to lessen some of the tension.

"Thanks," Sadie replies, shortly. "It is my job. But, I'm more than a model," she corrects, bitterly. "I'm an actress, too."

"Have you been in anything I've seen?" Emily asks, trying her best to keep a polite and unwavering tone. She's almost slipped into Professional-Mode, but it's a little more friendly.

Sadie lists of shows, short films and music video cameos— Emily nods along as if she recognises them, but she really has no idea.

"I was in an episode of New Girl, too," Sadie adds, which piques Emily's interest.

"Oh, really?" Her eyes widen slightly. "I've just started watching that."

"You're a little late to the party," Sadie scoffs. "It started like, five years ago."