"What in the world!" Her horrified expression is a punch right to my stomach.

"Oh, you didn't tell her?" Kayden winces. "That's on you, not on me," he gets up and walks toward the kitchen, taking Milo the Mushroom with him.

"You didn't tell me you're selling. We have such good memories there. In the office. At the counter when we played that game when we met," she's avoiding eye contact. "I met your family there for goodness sake!"

"I know," I grumble, placing a finger under he chin so she can look at me. "But they know where we are. We might not even sell it, but instead just close it for a while,"

"Do that instead!" she suggests.

"It's not up to me," Fuck that, I'll buy the store from my dad if it means Adelia can keep it.

She releases a hush breath. "Fine. I guess I'll make a powerpoint to convince Atlas. I gotta get started. I'll do it in the library with Mr and Mrs Smith, they have great freaking ideas!"

"It's just a store,"

"It's not just a store," she's looking at me like I told her we're gonna break up. "It's where we became best friends,"

"You quit your job as a waitress. That's where we met, shouldn't that be more important,"

"I still visit. I still even have the front counter privileges,"

"Chase is there," I grumble.

"What?"

"Chase,"

She nods, smiling. "What about him?"

I turn away from her and walk away. I hear her stomp behind me and call my name. I don't know why she still smiles when she says his name.

"Zeke, baby," she groans and jumps on my back. "Thanks for the piggyback," she kisses my neck, "I love you,"

"I love you most,"

"I don't even like Chase. His name gives me a bombastic headache,"

"What's up with you and big words?" I take her in in the office where my dad is sitting.

"Adelia, Ezekiel,"

"Hi Atlas!" She rushes out, pinching my side.

"We aren't selling."

He looks confused but then I place Adelia beside me and his eyes go to her, his expression softening.

"There's nothing I can do about it," he tells her.

"I'll buy it from you," I tell him. Adelia looks at me with wide eyes but I ignore her.

"He's just kidding-"

"No I'm not,"

He stares at me with a smirk on his lips as he looks at Adelia's wailing hands. "If I could keep it, I would,"

"Okay but you can't, so give it to me,"

"Zeke!" She grasps my hand tightly, trying to pull mr away. I want her happy. This will make her happy.

"Yes or no?"

"We'll keep it," he decides.

I nod. "Good."

"Ex-freaking-cuse!" She pushes me out with her hands on my chest, my dad smiling at me and giving me a thumbs up.

"You can't do that baby," she flicks my forehead and drags me up our stairs. Milo following suit. She closes the bedroom door and walks into the bathroom.