chapter 12 "die, die, you stupid butterflies"

"it isn't that big and deep of a wound, you wouldn't have to get it stitched up in the hospital, may i ask what happened?" the middle-aged lady asked myeong as she dabs a dark brown liquid on top of the wound with a cotton pad

"she tripped and landed her head on the nearby wooden desk", donghyun voiced out, worry evident in his voice. "mmh i see, kids these days.. be careful okay?"

as the nurse tended to myeong's wound, haechan observed her wince in discomfort from the application of an unidentified cleansing solution. in an impulsive act, haechan moved closer to myeong and tenderly placed his hand atop hers, which trembled slightly. myeong felt it again, the butterflies ? as one may say. "aw!" suddenly, she let out a small cry of pain as the nurse proceeded to wrap a gauze around her head. "my apologies, my dear," uttered the nurse in a consolatory tone.

donghyun's phone kept on beeping so he had to excuse himself for a while.

message from: mom

the wound was finally cleaned up all thanks to the nurse. myeong bowed down to the nurse and haechan bid their thanks and goodbye. sensing myeong's lingering disorientation from her recent fall, haechan gently placed his hand upon her back, providing both physical support and guidance towards the canteen.

myeong was planning to get to her usual spot at the rooftop to eat alone but because of the spiral of events today, haechan did not allow for her to go. donghyun came already seated on the table with a visible frown on his face. renjun, xinji, jaemin and jeno had their plates halfway done, chenle and jisung decided to eat together inside their classroom that day so they weren't around.

donghyun motioned for myeong to occupy the vacant seat next to him, and haechan complied by taking a seat adjacent to her. despite her weak and nearly inaudible voice, myeong managed to ask him about what had happened. haechan was struck by the depth of her voice, and was captivated by this rare occurrence. it was a moment that one might describe as being as rare as a blue moon.

"it's mom, she wants me to study harder and aim for section z. she asked me if i'm studying well, of course i am.." donghyun told myeong honestly. it was annoying him how bad his parents want him to study well, the pressure forcing him to do so as they say.

myeong nodded her head.

haechan felt a little bit hurt that myeong was able to talk to donghyun so casually and not him.

"i'll bring you food myeong, just wait here hmm?" haechan told the girl beside him.

myeong smiled at him and mouthed a silent thank you.

next period is free time, students would use this time to study or to take a nap. no one dared to take a nap in times like this when exam is probably up next week. they need to focus on studying.

donghyun promptly left the table, leaving haechan and myeong to eat in silence, as he made his way to the library to find materials that might be of value in the impending test. on the other hand, myeong, who was suffering from a severe headache, resolved to spend the ensuing ninety minutes in slumber, a decision that was well justified.

haechan let her be and minded his own business, still looking every now and then at the girl whose head was resting on her notebook-filled school bag she placed on top of her desk, how comfy. he grabbed his own bag and took out his notes to review, the two spent their free time in section y I.

haechan observed myeong as she peacefully rested on her makeshift pillow with earbuds nestled in her left ear, engrossed in the melodies of mother mother. as a few strands of her dark locks brushed lightly against her face, her bangs-secured in place with a clip to avoid contact with the fresh wound-elegantly framed her delicate features. haechan noted the way myeong's hair moved in a gentle, rhythmic motion with each breath she took. "cute"

haechan slapped his mouth when he accidentally called the sleeping girl cute. oh gosh what is wrong with me

it can't be that i'm crushing on her right? i mean we just met and i'm only here to be friends with her and gain her trust and she would finally speak to me and we would get married and start a family and have little myeongs walking around our house yes.

what?

boys will be boys.