chapter 8 "minus grand, she's more of a mother"

waking up in the comfort of her jet black blanket, she got up to drink a glass of water to flush down her dry throat

waking up in the comfort of her jet black blanket, she got up to drink a glass of water to flush down her dry throat. there is only one small window in her dorm and sunlight couldn't possibly pass through as it is covered by blinds she won't dare to open. ehh, her room is definitely not the most welcoming.

myeong made herself look presentable and rode a bus on the way to her lovely halmeoni's humble home. t'was also her home before she decided to live by herself. getting off the bus, the fresh smell of air hit her—it was of grass and trees and everything nature-ish. although she wouldn't admit it to anyone, she honestly missed it here. she saw the rusty swings getting carried away lightly by the breeze... the same playground she stood in was the place she had last seen her father.

"i can't do this anymore, mom. i could not raise myeong myself and knowing myeongsuk, she would never come back to us. i have accepted it, our family is broken, i am selfish. i cannot look at my family the same way again—i have failed her as a father, that i know."

"myeong, this child, please take care of her. i'm really sorry for passing my burdens on your shoulder mom, im getting a new life and i will try to take care of myself better. i am leaving to-"

"sungho! she's still a kid, i dont want myeong to grow up without parents, a father the very least. don't regret this and take her back home", sunhee scolded her son.

"no, i have decided this thoroughly, i already sold the house. goodbye. and besides, you wouldn't be lonely if she accompanies you here."

"i met with you here to knock some sense in that narrow brain of yours because as much as i love my granddaughter, as a mother, i know that she needs you more than she needs me."

"nothing would change my mind mom, just take her."

"stop it sungho!", sunhee hit her son repeatedly on the chest.

"i'll still send money to you, please mom."

myeong found herself trapped in an uncomfortable situation, wedged between her halmeoni and father as they engaged in a conversation that she desperately wished to avoid. she didn't want to hear more about how her father is slowly disowning her, so she covered her ears and allowed silent tears to stream down her face. in a moment of overwhelming emotion, she took flight, sprinting away from the scene and seeking refuge within the nearby woods.

as the night crept in, myeong remained ensconced within the woods, in spite of the potential hazards that lurked within the forest. though she wasn't afraid by the idea of encountering insects and wildlife, because her greatest fear had already manifested itself in her life like a jarring jump scare, leaving her shaken. even now, she remains deeply affected by the experience.

( end of flashback )

she was a few steps away from home. habitually kicking the leaves that littered the road, she hummed silently. appreciating the simple things in life with a smile barely tugging upwards the sides of her mouth. but it's still a smile and yes it counts :D

myeong arrived at the familiar neighborhood only to find her grandmother's absence. realizing that it was a sunday, she assumed that her halmeoni was most likely still attending church. glancing at her wristwatch, she noted that it was already noon and reassured herself that her grandmother would be returning home shortly.

as expected, the doors were locked, both the front and back. thankfully, she still keeps a copy of their house key. successfully unlocking the door, she was greeted with a mess. the windows were open and the leaves got wooshed inside, getting everywhere. she got the broom and dustpan after putting down her bag on top of the small coffee table. after the leaves were all cleaned up and disposed at the backyard together with the other piled leaves, she decided to wash the few dishes left she assumed were from last night.

dabbing her hands on the kitchen cloth hanging at the handle of the refrigerator after finishing the dirty dishes, she saw a picture of them, her family. it was printed and the 4 corners were secured to the fridge by souvenir magnets.

myeong was just about to touch the photo when her halmeoni arrived. 

"myeong dear!" "how are you? i missed you so much". 

myeong's voice trembled as she whispered "h-halmeoni." although her grandmother was one of the very few people who had heard her voice and whom she felt comfortable conversing with, myeong remained reserved and hesitant to speak unnecessarily due to her anxiety.

the warm embrace of her grandmother greeted her and her heart felt so contented, melting in, forgetting the taste of bitterness that was present earlier. it was an intangible, almost ethereal sensation that could not be easily put into words, as the air itself was saturated with the unmistakable aura of love–a mother's love.