Chapter 33; Another chance

"You have got to be kidding me" Sarah whispered under her breath as she sat in the conference room with the rest of the team, which consisted of about three members and no more. Each represntive of their departments. One from the IT, One from Engineering and One from Arcitechture. She initially was suprised to see such a little team but also heard that the team from their New York branch would also join them there. Her excitement dropped when she heard her manager explain who else would be coming to this little trip with the rest of the team. None other than Xavier Smith. She had thought he would be too busy to be attending events like these, but as per the words spoken by the manager. He made sure to attend these yearly functions as it made him feel closer to his employees and also assess new strategies and outcomes for him to work on. "This will be a week long event as this would also serve as your little vacation for all the hard work you put in. So you can just leave all the worrisome stuff to the company and enjoy your time. Don't forget to leave a lasting impression on the people. " The woman smiled as she stood in front of the projector screen.
When the briefing ended, Sarah all but ran outside the door. She immediately went to her friend. "Rana, I need your help,"
She asked, sitting down next to her, and Rana turned her attention to her colleague.  "What happened? Everything alright?" She asked, concerned, and Sarah made a careless hand movement.
"Yeah, everything's fine. There is just one problem. "
"Which is..?" Rana arched her thick  eyebrows
"Xavier will also be attending this trip,"
Sarah waited, holding her breath as Rana took a moment to process the information. The wheels of her head turned trying to figure out if she should tell Sarah to go or drop from the programme titling slighting away as an unconcious habit.  She finally decided. Looking at Sarah, she gave her advice sincerely  "Sarah I know that emotionally, it would be best for you to stay here, but in all honesty. As a friend who wants best for you. This is an opportunity for you to make connections and step forward in your career. You can't just let this slip. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity. "
Sarah thought about her friend's words and nodded. She was right. Sarah had waited so long for this moment since the day she dreamed of joining Smith's Raise. There was no way she could let it pass her by. Besides, Xavier had moved on so she could too. Her eyes shone, highlighting her excitement as she thanked her friend and got back to the work at hand.

Francis entered his office as he sat down on his chair with a thud.  His team was failing at every project he took on, and the investors were starting to pull out. "What?" He snapped as his secretary entered the office. The lady, with much fear in her eyes, bowed her head as she informed her boss of the event happening under the leadership of Smith's Raise. His smile shone mischievously as he spoke. "Collect the team. Our company would also be attending the event under my supervision "
The brunette said no more and walked off. Preparing for what her boss had ordered to do. As she sat down on her desk, she shivered, recalling the crazed look in his eyes. She looked at her surroundings and felt the cold air even though it wasn't winter yet. The floors empty and still felt more like a haunted house to its employees than their actual workplace. On the other side of the door, Francis laughed as he thought of the final blow he was planning to give on Xavier. After which, he would not be able to stand again.

Xavier stared at the cup of coffee as though somehow that might have answers to all his problems. The file that he was to asses was opened, but his mind was elsewhere. "Sir..?" Alan called out to the man in front of hım in a well dressed Grey suit. "Yes..?" He asked Alan. He looked up from the finely inked papers. "You look worried. Is everything alright?" Alan spoke. He had been observing his boss, and even though the papers for review were in front of them. Xavier was awfully silent, and his eyes glazed over as though in a trance. He seemed to look past them. "Alan, you know the feeling I get when we are about to jump in a bad deal? Somehow I am getting the same indications right now as though there's this calm before the storm. " Alan nodded listening to that. "You are troubled because of Francis," Alan voiced out. It wasn't exactly a question but a statement. Xavier nodded. "Well , I think you should not be , Sir. There is nothing that he could do that would harm us" Alan worded out firmly to try and ease some tension. Xavier did nod at that but still didn't feel satisfied. How could he tell him that his intuition was not worried about him but also some other person.