Ch 31: Definitive Proof that I am Unstoppable

So you were useless, huh?

You'd been hoping for a different answer, but it's not like you were about to let your world come crashing down on you for something like this.  You knew the importance of having good teammates standing behind you.  If you didn't, you wouldn't be doing this whole charade in the first place.  So, if the only way you could be useful was when they were by your side, then there was only one thing left for you to prove: that when the three of you were together, you were completely and utterly unstoppable.

To say the least, Shinzen didn't stand a chance. The score ended at 21 to 25 with Karasuno well within the lead. And for the first time in the past nine matches, you had a genuine smile on your face. You let out a deep breath as you went to get a drink, some of the tension you'd been storing up finally melting from your shoulders.

"What the hell is up with these Karasuno guys?" The Shinzen captain groaned as he wiped his face with a towel. "I thought that little wing spiker was all we had to worry about, but that setter? And that tiny middle blocker?"

"They sure did a number on you," Ubugawa's captain snarked.

"Oh, shut up! You try facing down one of those quick attacks! And that damn disappearing act is practically multiplied with a decoy! I'd like to see one of you jerkholes handle it better!"

Fukurodani's captain, the famous ace Bokuto, let out a soft laugh as he turned to look over Karasuno again. He'd assumed (Y/N)'s cousin was going to be the only one to peak his interest. Evidently, though, he was wrong. "Well, this is about to be an interesting year," he hummed, gazing at the three of you with an excited glint in his eyes.

---

You dragged yourself down the hallway, yawning all the while. Keishin had insisted that you bring your biggest pair of sweats with you to hide your figure, so now you were practically drowning in the fabric. Still, you couldn't deny how cozy it was.

"New (L/N)!" The excited voice interrupted your thoughts, and you let out a soft chuckle as you turned to face him. Before you could meet him fully, though, Bokuto's arms had wrapped around your shoulders as he practically draped himself over you. Every muscle in your body stiffened at the sudden contact, and surprisingly enough, that seemed to be all he needed to figure out that you weren't comfortable. "Oops! Sorry about that. I guess you're just as easy to scare as your cousin, huh?" Bokuto quickly removed his arms from your shoulders, choosing instead to jab you in the arm playfully.  Maybe he wasn't quite as dense as you thought.  At least he seemed to remember your habits well.

"Yeah," you laughed, rubbing the back of your neck. "Sorry, kinda runs in the family." It was only then that you noticed that he wasn't alone. "Oh, hey, Kuroo-san. Didn't expect to see you here."

"Kuroo, you remember my middle school friend I told you about, right?" Bokuto rushed, nudging you forward a little bit. "This is her cousin! He plays for Karasuno."

"R-right. We've met before," Kuroo mumbled out, turning his face away. You narrowed your eyes up at him. You'd been a little suspicious before, but now it was getting just plain obvious. He was definitely acting weird around you.

"What's got you all stiff?" You asked, folding your arms across your chest. Sure, he was cocky last time you met him, but he wasn't a bad guy and he certainly didn't seem the type to outright avoid someone like this. Let's just say you weren't a fan of how he was treating you right now. It made you nervous.

"Nothing!" Kuroo defended a little too quickly.

You frowned and leaned into him. "Since when are you so skiddish? What happened to the cocky flirt who insisted that I was a girl?" You poked his chest, and Kuroo's face lit up like a christmas tree.