Part 7 - Butterflies and Prophecy

Lilith couldn't believe it. The Sons of Retribution were downright handing themselves in!

Before she'd gotten the civilians out of the building, things already seemed too quiet. Why wouldn't Red Global's viewers go rampant the moment they saw Falco take Fatima away. Things became evident when she reached the police picket line around the building. As the hostages moved to safety, the main doors opened behind her. Ready for a fight, Lilith was amazed to see the criminals walking out in a single file - hands in the air.

Their eyes were all glazed over, and one by one, they held their hands out for power cuffs. After a few tense seconds, Lilith raised her voice to the officers. "A telepath is controlling them. Cuff 'em."

One of the more senior officers tapped another's shoulder and walked forward. "I told you he was still out there."

"Who?" Lilith asked.

The officer grinned slyly. "Bavaros the Bold, ma'am. He's protected our city for over a hundred years." He tossed his head back to the picket line. "The younger folk don't remember when he was more active, but this has to be his work." 

The grey-haired lieutenant calmly walked by her and placed the cuffs on the nearest criminal. After the third pair of cuffs were safely on, the other officers began to aid him.

A friendly telepath would make cleanup much more manageable. Grateful for the assistance, Lilith moved to engage her boots and fly back to her team when a rush of noise caught her attention. Safer than before, the crowd of onlookers was surging forward to take videos and pictures. Training took over, Lilith spread her arms and helped the officers keep them back. Camera drones flashed, and questions started flowing in from the back of the group.

"Lilith! Does this mean you are renouncing the Republic? How does your father feel about that?"

"Is Falco really the killer? Did you know?"

"People are saying the Sentinels stand complicit in hiding his crimes. Any comments?"

The Super tuned them out until a small hand caught her bracer. "Lilith!"

"Corri!" Came a shout from a few people back where a young couple was desperately trying to push through the bodies. Lilith noted the UnClassed wristband on the tiny arm.

"I can't believe it's you; I am your BIGGEST fan! I ran straight here when I saw your stream, but my parents followed me. Can I have a picture before they take me back home? Please!" The raven-haired girl, around seven or eight, the raven-haired girl clung to Lilith for dear life.

With the crowd's push, Lilith was impressed the UnClassed girl had made it through without any broken bones. She lifted the child and moved away from the line of officers holding people back.

"Of course! What's your name?" Lilith snapped a selfie.

"Corri, and I want to be a Sentinel someday."

Her timid voice wrenched at Lilith's heart. How could she tell an UnClassed child the Sentinels would never accept them? How to say to her that the Sentinels she loved so much were no more?

Lilith didn't have to answer because a blast from the top of the news building shattered the peace. A massive antimatter stream tore through the sky and sliced across several buildings behind the crowd. It was lucky none fell, but concrete and steel began to rain down towards the now panicked civilians.

The fight had begun.

Several of the officers present had shielding abilities, and a rainbow of energy sheathed the area. The shields held up well against the deadly debris; they wouldn't need Lilith's help. Soon enough, the rubble stopped falling, the streets were safe, though it was clear the people in those buildings required assistance.