// ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 4 //

// hey, hey! I'm going to be trying harder to make my chapters longer. Can anyone offer some advice, please? I want to make this story as enjoyable as possible.//

"So, (f/n), what do you think?" Mirabel motioned her hand towards the still dancing couple far back, "Of my family, I mean."

Leaning sideways to meet where she gestured, they looked back at them.

"Well, after what you've told me, Camilo and a few others are the only ones who seem decent." They crossed their arms over their chest, unimpressed, while an exasperated sigh left their lips. They turned back to face Mirabel.

She shrugged sheepishly, "Yeah, that one's on me."

Mirabel brought her hands to her chest, in a spark of realization, "Oh! I should tell you, my family's having this big barbacoa tonight, and I'd like you to stick around.," she ran a hand through her hair, "Most people don't know about this sort of 'after-party', plus you'd get to meet my family, or at least the ones who don't suck."

(f/n) chuckled at her remark, and nodded vigorously, "I'd love that, Mirabel."

They conversed for a couple more hours about families until the lights dimmed from above them.

"Oh! Gotta go, my family's preparing for Antonio's gift." she turned on her heels immediately and sped off to a corner, supposedly the one where the rest of the Madrigals were, leaving (f/n) standing by themselves ineptly. They decided to shrug it off and reached back to the snack table, this time deciding to grab a chocolate con queso*. Reaching over the table, they gently lifted the mug of the table and held it.

The cheese cubes floated in the hot chocolate as they placed their lips on the rim and took a tiny sip from it, admiring the warm, comforting feeling it brought to them.

They cruised around the room, admiring the decorations in more detail, staring in awe at the distinct colours that surrounded the residence and not to forget, the flowers. Greeting familiar people from the bazaar, they situated themselves at a corner and waited for the ceremony to begin.

~~~

All the lights shut off at once, and a single spotlight shone above Antonio.

A nervous look was prominent on his face, and luckily (f/n) was close enough to see him clearly. His lip quivered before he chewed on it prominently, his eyebrows furrowed in worry. He stood in a hunched position, all while staring straight in front of him.

(F/n) examined their surroundings, everyone stared towards the boy of the evening. Everyone except Alma and Antonio's parents was aside at the front of the crowd. Camilo held Julieta's hand tightly, a dumbfounded look on his face.

At the sound of clicking, they turned back to Antonio. Casita seemed to be motioning for him to go on, but he stood still in place. Reaching his hand out, he whispered.

"I need you."

After what seemed like an eternity, a familiar form traveled to his side, lime-green glasses giving away who she was almost immediately. She offered a hand with an amiable smile, and began to take small, slow steps when he had finally taken it. Antonio clung to Mirabel like a limpet and shuffled his face into her arm, as they steadily took step after step.

All eyes were on them, as they glided across the path and up the stairs. With each step, eyes glazing over them. At the top of the staircase, Antonio slowly let go of his cousin's arm, detaching himself from her.

Eyes finding each other, he stared at Mirabel with such emotion that no words could describe. I - however - will do my very best. He stared at Mirabel with such emotion that showed how much he adored her, how much he appreciated that she was there for him when he needed her the most, even as the family weirdo. Sometimes those just get a bad rap.