// ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1 //

Gift ceremonies.

Everyone loved them, they were so magical and full of life after all, with food and festive decorations. Not to mention that the town of Encanto loved 'Casita'.

And today was Antonio's gift ceremony. After what had happened at the very last ceremony, the pressure was on for the Madrigal family. Today was supposed to be all about Antonio, yet it seemed as if Alma was focusing more on whether this ceremony would turn out like the last.

(F/n) was walking to a bazar in the middle of town to find a present for Antonio, determined to find the perfect one. Their shoes 'thud' on the ground with each step, as they took in a long, deep breath. It was a crisp summer afternoon, rays from the sun blasting down onto 'Encanto', while the town was bustling with excitement, as I've mentioned before, gift ceremonies were most certainly taken seriously. Just an invite to the magical Madrigal establishment was like a gift from those above, for most people.

(F/n) had been invited there only once, despite talking and keeping Mirabel company almost always. It was the same routine, day in, day out, (f/n) would be selling their buñuelos, Mirabel comes along, and suddenly (f/n) leaves their workspace to chat with her.

(F/n) made sure to close the door behind them when they set foot into the bazar. A lovely chime tang above her head, signaling a new customer had entered the premises. They made their way to a hall in which there were books of all sorts. Fiction, non-fiction, fantasy...

Gliding their hands over the long line of books, they came to halt and grabbed the book they had rested their hands on. A picture book, one with animals from different regions and countries. They gently placed it into their hands and walked back to the counter. They placed it onto the counter, waiting for the person behind it to put their gift in a bag.

"Hey, (f/n), going to Antonio's ceremony today?"

The clerk asked, giving (f/n) her signature smile, and bagged their gift.
"Yeah, I am."
Clutching the colorful bag between their fingers, they turned on their heel and left the store with a gift for tonight.

Quite a while passed, 3 hours, maybe 4, and everything was ready for the ceremony. 'Casita' had been decorated to perfection, streamers hung everywhere, flowers spreading around the perimeter, of course, thanks to Isabella. Vines also went along these. Only the lower floor of the house was open to the public since children were trying to get their grimy little hands on soon-to-be Antonio's door. 

(F/n) wandered in Encanto, candles standing erect on corners of the streets. There was one big stampede of people, and they were all heading to the same place. La Casa Madrigal. Cheers of excitement rang out, while others shared thoughts of concern because of what had happened the last time. 

Bag in hand, they trot over cheerfully, hoping they'd get to see Mirabel. And I'm the distance, they recognized a curly tuft of dark hair as hers, they jogged to meet her.

But the eyes she met weren't hers.

Word count : 523 (not counting A/N and this part obvs)

//kk, another chapter finished. Also, who has two thumbs and got covid on their bday? This girlll.//