Chapter 5: Kingo the movie star

Present day.

"But you two," Sersei said as they walked across a road towards a studio. "You two were inseparable."

"Can we please not talk about this," Artemis said urgently. "He abandoned me, let's leave it at that."

Ever since she had told Sprite about her not being able to find Druig, the company behaved really oddly.

Ikaris took up a, 'its for the best' approach, while Sersei badgered her with questions that could possibly help unravel the mystery. Sprite, on the other hand, didn't talk to Artemis any further and dodged conversation with her at all costs.

They were at Kingo's studio in Mumbai, watching him perform a dance number. Artemis had to admit it, he had done well for himself.

A man, calling himself Karun and introducing himself as Kingo's valet approached them.
When they continued to look at him, he continued;

"Its truly an honour to be in te presence of the great eternals."

When Kingo's number finally finished, he came to them, smiling and excited.

"Oh, my friends from college are here," he said laughing and hugging Ikaris.

"Perfect timing," Kingo continued and it was clear to Artemis that he had no clue of the deviant's return.

"Welcome to the set of-..." he rambled on about the movie, The legend of Ikaris.

Artemis looked around. He seemed to be both an actor and a director. She noticed Karun watching her excitedly and flashed him a small smile.

They followed him into his dressing room, upon his invitation. Artemis busied herself with looking around the room as Ikaris broke the news of Ajak's death.

***

A few hours later, Artemis found herself on Kingo's private plane, staring out the window. She ignored him and his valet as they filmed what he called a documentary.

Ever since she had accompanied the others, on their search of the rest, she had started to dread the moment they would find Druig. What would he say to her, and would he have an explanation as to why he abandoned her?

She tried not to think about this as Kingo, having already pestered Sersei and Sprite, came to sit opposite her.

She noticed that his camera man was also sitting, but they weren't filming.

"I thought Druig would be with you," he said after considering her for a moment. "Sprite told me you couldn't find him after we left."

Artemis looked at him, and shrugged. She didn't trust herself to speak.

"But he was just there, in the forest when we all separated..." Kingo continued, oblivious to her indifferent attitude. "He couldn't have disappeared when you went to search for him."

"Well he obviously did," she finally said, slightly harsher than she had meant. "Sorry," she muttered.

"It's okay," he sighed. "I just never thought... you two were inseparable, since the beginning."

They lapsed into an awkward silence after this. Her reminiscing the days in which she and Druig spent together. While Kingo just looked like he was dying to find out more.

"I searched the forest for days as you well know considering you were there for most of it," she admitted quietly after some time. "I shouted myself hoarse, calling for him. But there was no answer, no sign of him."

She felt Sprite's eyes on her and glanced over. Sprite looked away - was it guilt she saw on her face?

Shrugging off the odd moment, she looked back at Kingo, who stared at her sadly.

"I'm sorry Artemis," he said finally. "You should have never endured that."

"Perhaps when we find him, all will be explained."

Artemis shrugged, looking out of the window once more. But from the corner of her eye, she saw Sprite fidget uncomfortably in her seat.