06: RENEGADES.

CHAPTER SIX
❪ RENEGADES ❫

The past is never where you think you left it

Katherine Anne Porter.

IT WASN'T THE FIRST she'd leave a burning outpost behind, but the dark little ember of joy for the destruction was new

IT WASN'T THE FIRST she'd leave a burning outpost behind, but the dark little ember of joy for the destruction was new. Perhaps she had changed more than she first expected. The Falcon accelerated from the ground bumpy, and she could almost hear the angry outcry of the former smuggler in her head, so vividly and alive, for a moment she wasn't certain if she might not be hallucinating. On the other hand, Rey was quick to react, just saving them from a dangerous and possibly deadly blow when activating the shields, but the annoying beeping stirred up a formerly withholding fear.

"That bastard is more clever than I thought," Meirina said, and the ship spun in the air as two green salves of gunner fire flew past them.

"The ship is only at half capacity," Rey called to her. Plutt had secured the ship better than she had hoped. Instead of a complicated security code, he had kept the Falcon's energy reserves low. A wonder the shields could activate, yet the fuel was low, as well. They might not even make it into hyperspace.

A well-aimed shot almost threw her and Rey from their seats, rocketing the entire ship forward from the blast.

"You ever gonna fire back?!" Rey yelled into the corridor, her voice traveling right to their gunner.

"I am working on it!" He called back, a similar irritated sound in his voice as Rey. Very fitting, Meirina thought, before she turned to her side and corrected their vectors.

"Beebee-Ate? How is it going with the star maps?"

The little astromech droid held on tight behind her, complaining with quick beeps as Meirina did another spin, but this time straight to the air. Metal ropes anchored on the ceiling in walls, while a thick wire was still linked into the navigation computer. The Falcon's monitoring systems joined the droid in his complaints. The ship didn't like her maneuver either.

"No, no, stay low!" He called out, and she heard the Falcon shoot her blasters for the first time.

"If you haven't noticed, Rebel boy, but we have to leave the planet to get away from here!" Meirina screamed back, avoiding a sand dune barely, as she ripped the controls down to the ground again.