03: GHOSTS & PHANTOMS.

CHAPTER THREE
❪ GHOST AND PHANTOMS ❫

CHAPTER THREE❪ GHOST AND PHANTOMS ❫

Memories are dangerous things.
You turn them over and over,
until you know every touch and corner,
but still you'll find an edge to cut you.
Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns.

THERE WAS NOTHING that could describe the feeling of walking into a living memory

THERE WAS NOTHING that could describe the feeling of walking into a living memory. The burning smell of scorched sand and flesh, enhanced by the remaining heat of the day in the desert... Meirina fought against the urge to retch as soon as the speeder stopped at the hill village.

She was too late.

Dark smoke was reaching for the aquamarine sky, even when the battle had been fought a while ago. The speeder's engine squeaked briefly as she turned it off, leaving it at the corner of the destroyed village as her heavy steps wandered through the sand mixed with ashes and soot. Her heart beat hard and heavy in her chest, making every breath of hers a difficult task. The young woman's eyes turned darker with every burned corpse ( of some only the skeleton was left ) she counted.

Barely any housing of the sacred village of Tuanul could still be named as such.

She had spent years of fighting the memories of Dantooine, her home, burned in the zenith of night, fire and flames as high as towers, when she was surrounded by the dead bodies of friends and teachers, of people she had known her entire life, all betrayed and dead for nothing but greed for power. Every second she had tried to deny the phantoms of her past, those who she tried so deeply to cast into the corner of herself, where all things go to be forgotten ( to earn a chance to wake up one day and not think of all what could have been and all she could have had. A chance for peace ), it all turned to nothing as she spotted the wreck of an X-Wing.

The sand creased under her quick steps, rushing to what was left of the spaceship, as she felt the rock on her heart turn into the sensation of magma burning through her. The vessel of the Resistance had been hit by blaster fire, frying every necessary equipment for it to get up into the air, but it was the firepower of another spaceship that had shredded it, only leaving a hollow metal skeleton, but she'd recognise this type of spacecraft anywhere.