[2]

i look at the mirror before i set out. my hair was straight and black, with a strand of white at the left side of my head. people think that the white hair is dyed but it's not, i had it ever since i gained my powers.

i wear long sleeves and jeans to cover up my skin, and my trusty gloves too. they are the only barrier between my lethal skin and the world outside.

i bid goodbye to raven, who busily eats her pizza while on the phone. she's the only friend that i have, and although we're not that close, she's one of the only few people i like.

the overwhelming heat of california greets me as soon as i step out of the house. it may be hot wearing my clothes but it was worth it as long as i did not hurt any innocent people.

i take the subway to the library, my second home. people in the train cast weird looks at my outfit and i can't blame them because it wasn't a summer look. especially my gloves, because who the hell wears gloves in los angeles?

i manage to get off after five stops and brisk walk to the national library building which was in five minute's time.

just when i passed a dark corner, i heard soft whimpers. i automatically backtracked, turning my head and squinting to see who made that noise.

when i couldn't see anything, i walked in deeper and saw a dark figure cornering a girl with a knife. the figure was wearing all black and a snapback.

the girl was crying and holding her purse to her chest. i was witnessing a robbery.

"stop!" i shouted, "drop the knife and let go of her!"

wher the figure didn't respond, i stepped closer. "i repeat, let her go. if not, you'll face the consequences."

immediately, the figure struck at me but i dodged quickly and knocked the knife out of his hand.

i pushed him against the wall and the force sent his snapback flying off. his face was right in front of me, clear and sudden.

i gasped in shock and he took that chance to push me roughly onto the ground. my eyes followed his body until he was out of sight, whereas my legs could not do so.

blinking out of my daze, i helped the girl up who had slumped against the floor in fear and comforted her. she thanked me profusely before she left, giving me her name card and telling me that i could call her if i needed anything.

i stuffed it into my pocket. i looked at the snapback and the knife that had fallen onto the ground. i picked them up and kept them in my bag.

i finally went to the library to read a book. i was there to find peace, quietness, and a way to subdue my thoughts and troubles. however, i couldn't get rid of the robber's face, which was popping up in my mind constantly.

it can't be him, no. but it is. i knew it.

i knew him, and never in my life would i forget him.