Chap. 22 - Domestic life, just as adventurous (3)

Start from the beginning

"What do you think you're doing?!" they heard someone yelling somewhere in the room. "Have you gone mad?!"
(Y/n) recognized the voice and rushed over to a crowd gathered around one particular station. She squeezed her way through to get to the front and saw her teacher confronting Manshu, who was standing in front of two tall boxes.
"On the contrary!" Manshu yelled waving two paper seals with him. "I have made a breakthrough! I came up with a seal that could work-"
"You truly are a fool if you think this will do any good to anyone!" her teacher looked away. "Someone get security! And give me this book."
Manshu glared, he looked truly offended.
"No! I'll show you! I'll show all of you!" he turned to the two boxes.
"Stop him!"
But it was too late, he placed the two seals on the two boxes, he then rolled up his sleeves, revealing two other seals placed on his arms. He took a deep breath and concentrated. Just as the boxes started shaking, two guards in charge of security arrived.
"S-s-stand back! Stand back!" the teacher quickly said.
'I have a bad feeling about this.' (Y/n)'s eyebrows furrowed. 'It's the first time I've seen him scared.'

Then, the boxes slowly opened with a creak and two people stepped out. Gasps of horror echoed throughout the audience. (Y/n) was one of those who gasped, the colors drained from her face. These two people seemed to be walking corpses. A woman and a young man. Their skin a deep dark green, pieces of flesh missing, eyes looking in different direction, and making inhuman noises. The whole crowd took a step back while Manshu approached them. He looked so happy that his project worked that he was about to cry.
"Hi. Can you talk?" he asked. "Can you hear me? It's me."

As he talked, with slow movements, the two corpses walked towards him with their arms outstretched. One guard went to stand between the student and his creations.
"Um, could you not?!" Manshu exclaimed. "You're interfering with my-!"
The woman held the guard's head, and before anyone could react, she bit his neck, sinking her black teeth into his flesh. Everybody screamed and started running away as the second corpse kept walking towards them. (Y/n) was shaking, she couldn't move. She watched as the woman let the guard go and went on her way to bite more people. She didn't rip off his skin, but she did leave a dark green mark on his neck. Its color spread across the guard's body as he convulsed. Once his skin completely became green, he turned around and began to walk, acting the same way as the other, his eyes now completely white. (Y/n) opened her mouth to scream, but no sound came out.
'Ghosts!!! Real life ghosts!!! They're contagious!!!'

"Get out of here!!!" her teacher grabbed her by the arm and ran away with her.
"Wait! No, don't panic!" Manshu called out, in a panic himself as he started to flip the pages of 'his' book. "I can fix this! Just, d-don't agitate them!"
People were very much agitated. With the panic of some and confusion of others, some were bitten and turned into those monsters. (Y/n) had no idea where she was being dragged to. Everybody was going for the nearest exit, no matter where it led to. Eventually, the teacher pushed her forward through double doors and closed them behind him. They were now alone on a balcony. He peeked through one of two little windows then turned to her.
"I... Given how they move, I don't believe they're able to open doors. Still it might only be a matter of time before they find us."
They both looked down, they were pretty high up. He sighed with relief when he saw that his wife was one of the lucky few who got out of the school safely. The people outside started to barricade the doors. She noticed him and called out in panic.
"Honey!!!"
He waved at her to show he was okay before looking towards the door, with a serious expression, thinking.
"I can climb down but..." (Y/n) said. "I don't think I could carry you on my back."
"That's fine, you go and call for reinforcements." he looked through the window again, speaking quietly. "I'll tell you all the information they'll need to know."

"Information..." she looked in too, at the same volume. "These things, they're corpses right? What made them this way?"
"Necromancy."
'I don't know what that is, but I don't like it.'
"Manshu believed it could be used to bring the dead back to life, but really, it is the art of controlling the dead."
"I see... Well, he doesn't seem really in control right now." she looked at Manshu in his corner, still flipping through the book, she frowned. "They aren't attacking him, they're completely ignoring him in fact."
He looked at her, surprised to see her taking part in this information gathering, and being quite observant too. He blinked twice and looked back inside.
"You're right, it must be because he's the source of energy that makes them move."
"Doesn't it mean that...the more there are of them, the more drained he'll become?"
"...Very likely, yes. But it almost means that they'll become weaker as they are more of them."