CHAPTER 8: UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT

Start from the beginning

"Thank you." He hears from the other side. There was a slight shuffling and some wincing and then it was quiet once more.

"You...You're welcome." He puts his hands in his pockets. Suddenly, there was silence with an awkward air filling the space between himself and the curtain.  He wanted to ask her whether it was really her. It's me! The guy who promised to play with you again. The one who wants to correct the abrupt ending they had. The one who wants to know you for who you really are.

"You should go. Visiting hours are ending soon." The girl says from the other side of the curtain.

"Yea I-" Kian says stopping for a while, seeming to find words to say, before continuing. "I'll see you." 

And with that, Kian walked out of the ward.

Kian looks through the list of participants while sitting at one of the tables on the netball court. He removed his cap and flipped his hair backwards once more before putting the cap back on. The list was satisfying to say the least, they got the number of participants they wanted and what's better is that Noel and his girlfriend, Kayla decided to support his event as well.

"Kris," Meng walked up to him holding a clipboard. "The second participant done already. Three shots out of eight. Next is who?"

"Oh, ergh," Kian looked at the list. "Next is...Kayla from Group Ults Unite."

Meng nodded and walked towards the line of participants by the fencing calling out for Kayla. Kayla took off her sling bag and picked up one of the balls.

Kian observed the participants, most of whom were girls but there were also one or two guys there as well. He didn't see Noel anywhere near the court, must be preparing for the gaming section tonight. Although he doubts it should be a problem since Noel is an arcade racing champ.

"How's it going, gamer?" Alexis suddenly leaned on Kian's table as he was looking around.

Kian looks up at Alexis. She was wearing leggings and a baggy Adidas t-shirt which hid her toned body. "Not much, to be honest."

"Yea, well. The event was even simpler than I thought."

Kian puffed his lips. "Not unless you're paying 800 Ringgit for the racing setup."

Alexis looked wide-eyed at Kian. "How much?"

"Eight hundred."

Alexis puffed her cheeks as well. "Not so smart there eh, gamer? My club didn't even pay a cent for this."

Kian glared at Alexis who quickly noticed. "What? It's true."

Kian shook his head. "Either way, at least we got this event underway in time. If you guys delayed it by a week, my club would have been toast."

She finger-snapped and pointed at Kian. "Ah, I should have done that."

Kian glared at her again. Alexis looked at him and giggled.

"Why are you so bent on making my life miserable?" Kian looked at the list of participants again.

Alexis pouted. "Gaming club president can't handle jokes either, huh?"

"I'm being serious, Alexis. Every time I'm with you, I always have the feeling something bad is about to happen to me."

"And yet you're still determined as ever." She says under her breath.

"Come again?"

"Nothing." Alexis looked at Kian and shot him a sarcastic look.

"Tsk, dah lah you. Annoying me only." He takes out his phone and starts scrolling through it.