Chapter Twenty: Nice Legs

Start from the beginning

Where is he?

The guys came separately because Warner was picking up a few of their friends from the soccer team. I didn't want to be that girl waiting for a guy to show up but ever since Warner gave me this dress I couldn't suppress my feelings.

We grab some tequila shots and I knock back the burning, bitter liquid in my glass like a seasoned pro. Soon after I grab my friends' hands and drag them to the dance floor. The music is loud, reverberating through me and breaking through my apprehension. Kiwi by Harry Styles is playing so it is easy to lose myself in it and let my body take over.

After an hour of dancing, we decide we need a break and more drinks so we went back to the bar. I was just forgetting about you know who when I felt a presence behind me.

"I like the dress," He whispers in my ear and I gasp as his teeth lightly scrape against the skin of my ear.

I smile and take a huge gulp of my drink, Warner is standing there and I am thankful Adam isn't next to him. Turns out his hangover prevented him from going out on actual Halloween, I am sure he has learned his lesson now.

The energy between us feels different. I am nervous and he isn't even touching me, god I am such an inexperienced loser. I need some water. I get up without even looking at him and try to walk past.

Warner grabs my hand startling me as he pushes us through the throngs of people. He makes nothing of the action but my heart rate has spiked up, traitorous blush colours my cheek and I'm starting to sweat through the dress I have on.

Once in a clearer space, we can actually breathe in he lets go of my hand and then places his at the small of my back as he guides us.

"Are you okay?" He asks but I can't make heads or tails of whatever's coming out of his mouth. I am way too aware of where his hand's rubbing my back slightly. He slept in the same bed as me weeks ago and that didn't freak me out as much as this. I can't keep blushing because of Warner Brooks, it's so absurd!

I had so much to say, I had practiced in my room all the words and how I would say them but now that I am standing in front of Warner I have turned into some love-struck loser.

"Jules?" He sounds a little worried. I need to get it together, I cannot let him see that he's affecting me the way he is. His already ginormous head doesn't need to get inflated more. I'll be just another girl who falls under his spell and then once he sees that he'll leave me alone.

I like being special.

I don't want him to leave me alone. Not just yet.

He tugs at my arm and pulls me back. Turning me around he grabs a hold of both my shoulders and tilts my chin to look at him. His eyes penetrate into mine like they're trying to figure something out.

"Are you okay?" He repeats scanning my face and visible parts of my body for I don't know what.

"Why wouldn't I be?"

I detest sounding so breathless but he doesn't make a big deal out of it

"Did someone do something? I'm going to kill them..."

"I'm fine, sorry the drinks must have gotten to me."

Getting out of his grip, I turn my back on him and take a few deep breaths. It's getting easier to lie to him but I would never profess to be a professional. He doesn't look like he believes me but he lets it go thankfully.

"Why are you being so nice today?"

"Oh I am always nice" his voice turns to a whisper as he gives my legs and body the once over. "Nice legs".