Chapter 1. Red Velvet

Arienne

Six years ago today, Arienne's life was completely destroyed.

Well, maybe not completely, but that's what it felt like sometimes. She was at school when it happened. Fourth period. Mr Marcos's math class. A day she'd never forget.

There aren't too many good ways to find out that your grandma has breast cancer, but having it announced to your whole eighth grade class was never a good idea. Especially when there was supposed to be a test that day.

Arienee remembered the strange feeling of the classroom going silent and all eyes falling on her. She remembered seeing her classmate's silent cheers as she packed her things, her heart racing wondering if that morning would be the last she ever saw of her grandma.

Looking back, she didn't really blame them. She too would've been happy if a sudden misfortune delayed her math test to the next day. Back then that's all she had to worry about. Math tests and boy drama.

Things were different after she visited the hospital. Suddenly it wasn't just her sitting at the dinner table with homework, but her Grammy as well. Only Grammy's homework was all the hospital bills. And light bills, and water bills, and rent, and car insurance, and internet bills and so on.

One night Arienee watched as Grammy sat in her usual spot next to her at the table. She watched her slowly sort through the paperwork and mailed letters. Her hands shakily placed them each in their own respective piles, until she paused at one particular envelope.

Arienne knew the piles by now, she'd watch her Grammy sit there every month and sort the papers in order of importance. The far left was 'pay immediately', the middle was, 'pay next month', and the right pile was, 'it's gonna take a miracle'.

The pile on the right were mostly hospital bills.

Arienne's heart stopped as she saw the pink envelope vibrating between Grammy's fingers. She had forgotten about that envelope. She sat quietly as Grammy ran her wrinkled fingers over the rhinestone glued words. 'Dolphin cheerleaders ' . She had almost forgotten she even tried out for the squad.

Arienne scribbled mindlessly on her spiral, silently praying for Grammy to rip it into pieces and toss it in the trash. She knew they had more important things to worry about and the last thing they could afford was her being a stupid cheerleader.

Grammy looked at the envelope for a short while and then she turned to Arienne. She smiled brightly and placed the envelope into the far left pile.

"Grammy," she started but her protest was cut short as she held up her hand. She stayed quiet as Grammy peacefully returned to her sorting, acting as if nothing happened.

That night in bed, Arienne promised herself that she would do whatever it took to give her Grammy the life she deserves. A life without stress or worries. She would put her Grammy first just as her Grammy did for her.

And that's exactly what she did.

It took some time of course. The first day back to school after that day was dreadful. Everywhere she went there were whispers and staring. She watched as a group of kids sat and giggled about her. She never payed them any attention, making fun of her she could handle, talking about her grandma, now that's suicide.

"I heard her grandma died from breast cancer."

"Eww, breast cancer. What is that, some sick disease?"

"I think it means she can't grow breasts or something."

"Well obviously, look at her. Do you think it's contagious?"